8e7 seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 8e7 seal

Hello to everyone on the forum. I have a issue with my truck an 8e7 63 1/2 ton v8 auto.The truck forum is giving me some difficulty so I'll ask here. I've had this truck awhile now and the front brakes have been making some noise. After looking at the backing plates you could see groves from the shoes getting kind of deep. No problem some welding and grinding for that. The issue is that oil slinger and grease seal. You could see were the seal has had contact with the slinger and made it spin on the axle . The seal is a SKF 17359 from NAPA it does look like its to thick and sticks out of the hub in the past I though all seals fit flush. So is the oil slinger pressed on and not supposed to spin and the seal to fit that close to the slinger to make a seal? Do I have the wrong seal? Or is there a better fitting seal so i can just remove the slinger is that what others have done? The slinger looks like it should be on some thing pre WW11. Thanks for checking on my post.

The outer "Dust seals" on Trucks have a metal cone shaped "Shield" around them, but the Inner, actual "Axle Seal" has NONE, you must have a non-Studebaker Vendor Seal!

The Wrong ones sold for Studebakers, are for Dana Axles in newer Jeeps.

I believe National makes the only correct seal or did, but 1685410 Studebaker Vendor Seals DO FIT!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a picture of 1685410 as used by the dealer, this one is a C/R seal

Click image for larger version

Name:	1685410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1716809
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks I do appreciate your response. When I grow up I won't make these silly mistakes.

Comment

1685410 is a rear axle inner seal. The original question was about a front wheel seal. A front seal for an 8E-7 would be a 524096.

Comment

Thank one and all. I had another idea I called Carl at Studebaker West and ordered the right parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
              Hello to everyone on the forum. I have a issue with my truck an 8e7 63 1/2 ton v8 auto. The issue is that oil slinger and grease seal. You could see were the seal has had contact with the slinger and made it spin on the axle . The slinger looks like it should be on some thing pre WW11.
              What kind of "slinger" goes on the front hubs? I always associate slingers with some type of oiling system in an engine.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
              X