X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Repairing Crankshaft with bad connecting rod journal

Dear Forum Members:

I'm new to this forum.

Last year I purchased a 1957 Studebaker Commander Provincial Station Wagon from an Idaho salvage yard. I knew going in that the engine would have to be rebuilt. In my inspection, I found that the number one connecting rod had sliced through the oil pan. Not a good thing. At present, the engine is out and is 98% disassembled. The block and cylinder walls appear to be salvageable but the #1 connecting rod journal is out of round. The engine was run hard with dirty oil and the bearing seized and broke apart.

I'm trying to decide if a weld repair is the way to go or seek out a used crank that can be reconditioned with oversized bearings. The engine is a 259. Your input and experience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

DWillis

There are still NOS 259 crankshafts available at a reasonable price. There are also plenty of 232 engines around to donate their cranks. studebakervendors.com

Welcome to the forum.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

As said, you can buy nos or there are plenty of good used. I would not weld unless that was my only choice.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Buy a new crankshaft. 259 crankshafts are cheap enough and readily available. If you can find a used crankshaft that can be cleaned up at .010" under size, that will work too. If you were talking about a 289 crankshaft, they are getting hard to come by so welding could be an option on them. Bud

Comment

X3 - junk that crank and find a good used one. Be aware some of the NOS cranks still out there are not in mint condition. The last one I saw had to be turned .010" under to be usable.

When replacing the con rod, be aware Studebaker has left and rights, so make sure to get the correct replacement.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

NOS crank, Studebaker International, 1558011, $220.00

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              NOS crank, Studebaker International, 1558011, $220.00
              Jim,
              Is that part number for a long snout, or short snout crank?
              Thanks,
              Joe

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

When replacing the con rod, be aware Studebaker has left and rights, so make sure to get the correct replacement.

jack vines
                Would it be wise to replace both rods that rode on that journal?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Jim,
                  Is that part number for a long snout, or short snout crank?
                  Thanks,
                  Joe
                  1558011 crank,1955 to early 62.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                    1558011 crank,1955 to early 62.
                    Dear Forum:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a NOS Crankshaft from SI for $220.00.

Thanks to all.

DWillis

Comment

Originally posted by DWillis View Post
                      Dear Forum:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a NOS Crankshaft from SI for $220.00.

Thanks to all.

DWillis
                      Just for the good of the order, let us know if it's usable as is out of the box.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

If you plan on using the connecting rods from that journal, I would have them checked and resized at a machine shop. I had a flat head Ford that had the bearing turn inside the rod, and it was torqued down that way. It spread the rod slightly, and the machine shop brought it back to specs. He called it resizing at the time.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                          If you plan on using the connecting rods from that journal, I would have them checked and resized at a machine shop. I had a flat head Ford that had the bearing turn inside the rod, and it was torqued down that way. It spread the rod slightly, and the machine shop brought it back to specs. He called it resizing at the time.
                          Yep… It's important to have any rod with a spun bearing, (or worse), trued by an engine machine shop. Vitally important!

Comment

You are new to the site.
                            Possibly new to Studebakers also, here are a several sites to stroll through for information.

And a site with an extensive amount of Studebaker information:
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I know this is a little too late but, I found a place that can HARD-Chrome crankshaft journals to bring them back to the original size. It wasn't cost effective in my case because the crank was too far gone but, for one journal it might be worth it. Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X