Floor of Gran Tourismo Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Floor of Gran Tourismo Hawk

I am planning to put seats in the Hawk which have the seat belts built into the seats. Those that I am planning to use do not even come close to matching the original bolt holes. The location for the new bolt holes next to the doors will be fine. But, where the bolt holes need to be near the center of the car, are above some kind of "pan" looking things. I suppose that these things are attached to the bottom of the floor to strengthen or stiffen the floor. I had high hopes of running angle iron under the floor with the bolts going through it to make the seats more secure. This will work under the side next to the doors. I am wondering if taking the "pans" off and securing the seats and then reattaching the pans is a reasonable option. I do not know if they are welded on or bolted since the undercoating covers everything. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Pictures pointing out would help. I'm guessing the "pan" your referring to is the stamped steel plate over the center tunnel that allows the inner seat tracks to bolt to. If that's what your talking about it's only held on by sheet metal screws. If you look under the car you should be able to see the screws protruding through the floor. Angle iron would be overkill whereas I'd just reinforce the floor with some 16 guage plate unless your floor is as thin as paper from rust then a floor replacement would be needed. I say that because the undercoating you tell about could be hiding something more serious.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I ran a small drill bit where I wanted one of the holes and looked under the car to see exactly where it was and it was apparently inside the "pan." The bit was over 4 inches long and didn't reach the bottom of the "pan." The thing that I am calling a "pan" is approximately 13 inches by 11 inches and extends down about 3 and 1/2 inches. There is one on each side of the drive shaft. They really look like pans secured to the bottom of the floor. The floor is very solid.
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Drill a hole about 3/4" where you want your bolt to go then make a plate about 2-3" square and weld a nut to that. Now center the plate so that the hole is where you need it on the top side of the floor and weld the plate to the floor. You could also take some flat stock and build something that bolts to the holes that are there and also bolts to the new seats.
        Last edited by swvalcon; 03-25-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

They are useless "foot wells" they are welded in place. They are "supposed" to give more foot room for rear set passengers. All they really do is collect dirt, and make the otherwise nice looking interior look like crap. I cant even get one of my size 12 shoes in one.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            They are useless "foot wells" they are welded in place. They are "supposed" to give more foot room for rear set passengers. All they really do is collect dirt, and make the otherwise nice looking interior look like crap. I cant even get one of my size 12 shoes in one.
            Thank you to all who replied. This forum is great!
            sigpicJimmie
            Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Working...
            X