Connecting Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Connecting Rods

I would like to know the weight tolerances in grams for the rods in a stock 259 engine. I have a 15 gram difference and I need to know if that's acceptable I dont see any info in the shop manual for balancing tolerances.
    Thanks

This is why it's "always" good to dynamically balance en engine during a rebuild. Even for a lower rpm engine like a Stude.
    If it's just going to putt around town, no problem. If you are going to do much freeway driving, too much difference.

Mike

Comment

Connecting rods are balanced by hanging them horizontally, one end on a hook and the other end on a gram scale. All eight small ends should weigh within one gram of each other and all the big ends should be within one gram.

And yes, fifteen grams would be noticeable.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Mike & Jack. I will be getting them bored and balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by az64stude View Post
          I would like to know the weight tolerances in grams for the rods in a stock 259 engine. I have a 15 gram difference and I need to know if that's acceptable I dont see any info in the shop manual for balancing tolerances.
          Thanks
          Top of rod, bottom of rod, with or without cinch bolts, out of the same engine or different ones?

Comment

Working...
          X