Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 63 Avanti rotor is very loose

Hi,

I haven't looked yet to see if the ignition rotor is available new, but I wanted to ask to be sure before I go and buy one. The rotor that is in the distributor now is very loose. It doesn't fit the main diameter and the flat is wrong. The result is the rotor is sloppy on the diameter and also can move about 5 degrees in either direction. Is this a problem part for these cars as far as availability or quality? What should I avoid to keep from getting another rotor that is so loose? Any recommendations for brand/source appreciated.

Depending on the manufacturer, some rotors have a small spring tab that presses on the flat side of the distributor shaft and assures a snug fit. If yours had one and lost it somehow, then it can result in what you're describing. The shaft that the rotor fits on will move a slight amount anyway because of the mechanical advance components. Again, these components are subject to undue wear if not lubricated regularly and if are in that condition, will add to your symptoms as well as make the engine run lousy. Does your engine run at all? New rotors can be purchased from Studebaker International.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have had the same trouble with new replacement rotors. Quality control seems to be non existent. I have been using good used instead of new. Anybody have a source for quality replacements?
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I have a fair amount of NOS or NORS ignition parts from back in the day when things were still made in the USA.

Send me a PM with the part number and I'll take a look and get back to you.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
          Depending on the manufacturer, some rotors have a small spring tab that presses on the flat side of the distributor shaft and assures a snug fit. If yours had one and lost it somehow, then it can result in what you're describing. The shaft that the rotor fits on will move a slight amount anyway because of the mechanical advance components. Again, these components are subject to undue wear if not lubricated regularly and if are in that condition, will add to your symptoms as well as make the engine run lousy. Does your engine run at all? New rotors can be purchased from Studebaker International.
          yeah I checked the shaft thinking the same thing and it is nice and shiny and has no play or unwanted movement. The rotor literally flops around on the shaft, it feels like it is significantly larger in diameter than the shaft. this should fit snug on the shaft and key tightly on the flat and it does neither. I was told the motor ran, but did not see it in person. I pulled the plugs and they are black, but they smell of fresh gas. I'm waiting to get keys to turn the motor over rather than hot wire it. I cant imagine it ran very well with this rotor. I saw the Studebaker parts sight, the parts are about 80% more expensive than locally available but I have no issue with the higher price, I just want to make sure its not higher for the same poor quality part.

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
            I have a fair amount of NOS or NORS ignition parts from back in the day when things were still made in the USA.

Send me a PM with the part number and I'll take a look and get back to you.
            PM sent, thanx

Comment

Originally posted by 1963R4 View Post
              yeah I checked the shaft thinking the same thing and it is nice and shiny and has no play or unwanted movement. The rotor literally flops around on the shaft, it feels like it is significantly larger in diameter than the shaft. this should fit snug on the shaft and key tightly on the flat and it does neither. I was told the motor ran, but did not see it in person. I pulled the plugs and they are black, but they smell of fresh gas. I'm waiting to get keys to turn the motor over rather than hot wire it. I cant imagine it ran very well with this rotor. I saw the Studebaker parts sight, the parts are about 80% more expensive than locally available but I have no issue with the higher price, I just want to make sure its not higher for the same poor quality part.
              The Avantis all had Prestolite distributors with dual points. If you're inferring this car has a "history" then make sure the distributor hasn't been replaced with a Delco..
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                The Avantis all had Prestolite distributors with dual points. If you're inferring this car has a "history" then make sure the distributor hasn't been replaced with a Delco..
                I will check. no worries about the history, all indications are that the previous owners story is full of serious holes. I'll post a picture of the distributor, maybe the distributor was replaced with a Delco and they bought a Studebaker rotor because it looks like the Studebaker rotor pictures I have seen.
                Last edited by 1963R4; 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

here's a picture of the distributor, looks duel point but with only one set installed? can someone confirm this is the correct distributor
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 1963R4; 02-10-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

As Bob pointed out a duel point distributer would be correct for an R-4 and this is a single point type . Maybe someone can ID what type it is from this picture . Maybe more history provided about the car may reveal why this distributer was used by someone that knows about the build . Ed

Comment

It appears to be the correct dual point dist. The previous owner of my 64 only had one set of points installed and it ran ok.

FWIW, the R4 would have had a full centrifugal transistorized dist.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                        It appears to be the correct dual point dist. The previous owner of my 64 only had one set of points installed and it ran ok.
                        FWIW, the R4 would have had a full centrifugal transistorized dist.
                        thanx, I will pull these points, looking at the picture they look suspect. I wonder would it be worth while to get the springs checked as well? On reading, I have seen these distributors can throw weights if they are not properly maintained. I still need a good recommendation for a rotor source, hopefully, dpson will have one NOS for me. Does it make sense to put in a pertronix instead? are they available for the stude duel point?

Comment

A loose rotor is not something new.I remember finding them back 50-60 years ago!The fix then was to paint the inside of the rotor hole with shellac.Another get her home in a emergency was to place a bit of paper over the shaft then press the rotor over it and tear away the excess paper,leaving a hat like shape of paper as a filler.

Comment

Just looking at your photo-it appears the second set of points is missing ! The post the wire is neatly curled around is the post for the second set pivot. I have been able to find "cheaper" dual point parts by using the Prestolite number on the side of the distributor-or substituting Mopar part numbers-the dual point Mopar Prestolites are almost exactly the same as the Stude's, especially the rotor and cap. Looks like a little part substitution took place!

All of which have been purchased and used and worked.

Comment

I was able to provide Scott with NOS 1555502 rotor, 1560473 points (last two sets), 1560358 condensor and 1560136 spark plugs.
                              Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT
                              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                              X