• Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Removing Vinyl....?

....any tips out there?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Removing vinyl? In what form and from where ? Lift the tonearm out of the way and slide it off the post? Just kidding.

Comment

If your speaking about a vinyl roof, peel the old off, scrape all the old glue off and repair all the rust holes from the moisture they sealed in.
      If it's vinyl upholstery, just cut it off with a razor blade.
      If it's vinyl wood applications on a dash peel off and use a solvent to remove any remaining glue.
      If it's the vinyl wood on the side of the station wagon, It's either the promotional Wagonaire model from 1966 shown at the Chicago Auto Show or you're working on a brand X.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Sorry Folks, didn't make it clear: off the roof top.
        Originally posted by bensherb View Post
        Removing vinyl? In what form and from where ? Lift the tonearm out of the way and slide it off the post? Just kidding.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Just get a hold of it on a edge and pull it off. Most of the older roofs come off fairly easy as the glue is old. You can then clean off the glue with a cleaner. 3-m makes a good one but not sure if you can get it in CA. as it has been proven in CA. to cause cancer in laboratory rats. I always felt I was save using it because that's not what I am.

Comment

Just drive the car to a neighboring state where the rats are immune to the 3M solvent and remove the top there.
            When I had the 66 Daytona roof done, the upholstery shop did all of the removal too.
            Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            Just get a hold of it on a edge and pull it off. Most of the older roofs come off fairly easy as the glue is old. You can then clean off the glue with a cleaner. 3-m makes a good one but not sure if you can get it in CA. as it has been proven in CA. to cause cancer in laboratory rats. I always felt I was save using it because that's not what I am.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X