Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 2 Land Cruiser problems

1951 Land Cruiser:
    1. If car sits for a few days, it has to be primed to start. When engine is finally running, a touch on the gas pedal results in stall, unless it is pumped several times; this keeps repeating even when engine is hot. Does that sound like carburetor accelerator pump problem? Choke seems to be working OK. Had same problem with other cars (4 barrel) but switched to Edelbrock. This car sat for quite a while and it came with 6 extra carbs which hints of carb trouble. An earlier problem was that, in overdrive, engine would quit with each gear shift, the relay fuse was removed and engine no longer quits. Could this have caused current issue, have a new relay but have not installed?

2. Gas gauge reads empty, installed NOS sending unit (easy to install), now reads full all the time, tank is about 1/2 full or 8 gals. Have NOS gas gauge (not easy to install). I'm trying to avoid installing it. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Just a suggestion, the fuel sensor (in the tank) must be grounded. Using a VOM or other electrical device, verify that there is continuity between the wire (on top of the unit and the body of the car.

Comment

I agree with Tom B that it sounds like a sending unit ground problem.
      Look down the throat of the carb (with the choke open) for a good squirt of gas when you open the throttle. It might be a bad accelerator pump. My 50 Champion has a similar problem, but the gas boils out of my carb when it sets after driving it. I'm going to try some heat shields between the exhaust manifold and carb.

Comment

ok you're gonna think I'm nuts.... My '50 truck with the champ 6 and a car carb had this problem. What fixed it besides 6 BRAND NEW plugs properly gapped was to turn the carb needle all the way in, because when running it was attempting to flood.

As for the plugs, the reason I bought new is that apparently the Ceramic on the newer plugs doesn't lend itself to sandblast cleaning and they don't seem to work well after that procedure.

Now, I just choke the truck and it starts. Before I had to prime it and it would miss for quite some time. And even the would not be "right"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          Just a suggestion, the fuel sensor (in the tank) must be grounded. Using a VOM or other electrical device, verify that there is continuity between the wire (on top of the unit and the body of the car.
          Thanks, there is continuity between the top plate of the fuel sensor and the car body. Not sure of reference to wire "on top of unit", grounding on this car appears to be from top of sensor mounting screws to tank to body to (presumably) battery.

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
            1951 Land Cruiser:...An earlier problem was that, in overdrive, engine would quit with each gear shift, the relay fuse was removed and engine no longer quits. Could this have caused current issue, have a new relay but have not installed?...Ken, Deltaville, Va
            Don't forget the overdrive kickdown switch. It is a simple mechanism built to give a momentary (milisecond) interruption to the ignition circuit. If it is maladjusted, wired improperly, or one part of the switch defective...that could cause the engine to quit when accelerating after shifting gears.

As to having to crank after sitting a few days, I have a similar problem with mine. The problem with mine is, either this gas formulation evaporates, with these old vented carburetor bowls, or the original casting sealant has broken down, and the gas is weeping through the porous casting. When I have everything tuned correctly, even with excessive cranking, once gas pumps through the fuel pump, fills the carburetor bowl, it fires up immediately. After that first lengthy cranking, the engine fires quickly after each stop. Once it sits for a few days...the cycle repeats.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes Ken the Carb. problem (stalling) does appear to be a Bad accelerator pump.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Yes Ken the Carb. problem (stalling) does appear to be a Bad accelerator pump.
                Thanks, OK, I'm going to send the carb off for rebuild. Also is the sending unit adequately grounded - it has continuity from top screw on sending unit to gas tank to frame? I'm trying to avoid getting under the dash to replace the gas gauge, in fact someone younger will have to do that. I removed the OD relay fuse, is there any other OD electronic function that could cause the carb to sputter as described in my first post. Have a NOS overdrive relay to install but after these other issues are resolved. Ken

Comment

Ken;
                  Unless I am missing something all you have to do to determine if the gauge itself works is to disconnect the wire from the sending unit. The gauge will read either full or empty ( I don't remember which) Then try grounding the wire that was connected to the sending unit and the gauge should read the other way.
                  You can also remove the sending unit from the tank and move the float by hand. You would have to run a ground wire to the sender.
                  Yes the stalling problem sounds like the accelerator pump.
                  Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X