'54 passenger vent door / speedester side trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: '54 passenger vent door / speedester side trim

You guys helped me solve my carburetor search ...found two new Holley one barrels so I am back again. Can anyone point me in the direction to find another '53-54 passenger side kick panel vent door and frame? Also I am thinking about using '55 Speedster side stainless trim on my '54 HT after seeing it on same this weekend. Anyone have any idea of where I might begin that search? Thanks for the help and your expertise on the subject. Dave in Spokane

Who advised you to use a Holley? Seems like a backward step there......

But I can help you with the vent, frame, handles, seals, etc.

Chris.

Comment

So Dave, your '54 is a Champion Six?

Are you SURE you want to "clutter up" one of the Worlds Finest, cleanly designed Automobiles?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich.
        You can't improve the good looks of the 53-4 design.

Comment

Dwayne Jacobson should have the "butter knife" trim if you really gotta' have it. A crap load of clips are required.

JK

Comment

His car, his money, his choice, guys.
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Reply...

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
              His car, his money, his choice, guys.
              Hey Guys, thanks for a direction or two on finding what I am looking for. Replying to your questions...it was Bill Cathcart that suggested using the Holleys. And the '55 side moldings are just in the "possible" stage of things. Yes, I do march to the beat of a different drummer as you can see in the attached photos of the build. I will leave the route of pure restoration to others if that is your thing. I just started the body work part two, but my panels will be flatter and my shut lines straighter than the factory ever thought of. I come from the street rod / car show world and just can't help myself trying to improve on the looks. Maybe in the fifties every guy wore a hat and they needed the extra room but I think the roof line needs to be parallel with the rocker panels not the up swoop of the door tops and look like it is going up hill. But you will also notice what is powering my '54! A built flat head six with a Camaro 5-speed and a Ford 8"rear. I have a better functioning independent front end with rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. I even cut the frame to move the front wheels back in the wheel wells (and added it back in the front frame rails). I am not afraid to put my money,time and skill into things just because I thought it looked or works better than stock.
              Like it was mentioned if we all saw things exactly the same, we all would be driving the same model/style/color/brand of a car. Pretty boring I think. I am not content with "looks good" but spend hours and hours striving for "damn how did you think of that ?) reaction. You know you can't please everyone and why would you want to? My biggest compliment was when a gentleman came up behind me as I was setting up the display for my "Radical Custom Street Rod '40 Ford pickup at the Portland Roadster show and said "pretty cool truck guy!" That man turned out to be the one and only George Barris the King of Customizers! Diversity is what makes things and life interesting. Granted it is very easy to go over the edge into poor design. It takes time and money to develop the skill to know where that line is. Check out some of the efforts by the big guys, the Pontiac Aztec comes to mind.
              I will do my best to get even the purist of you to have that second reaction...I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the help
              Attached Files

Comment

I like what you've done so far. Check the fit of the door part of the butter knife. It looks like it may go vary close to the door handle.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

That's going to be a sweet ride when done!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

WOW!..That's an impressive job for sure!!...I like the 'bundle of snakes' header system you've created!

As far as the '55 side trim goes, it would look nice on the car, but only if it's 'worked' to perfection...then polished to a high luster...a somewhat difficult job on the wide 1/4 panel pieces....However, if you get it right, that '55 side chrome is 'blinding', and really highlights the side contours!.....I say "GO FOR IT"!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinSpokane View Post
                      <snip>Can anyone point me in the direction to find another '53-54 passenger side kick panel vent door and frame? Dave in Spokane
                      Have you looked here? http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks (then keep scrolling down)

Comment

I have a rough 1953 Hardtop with 1955 trim. My dad (who started buying Studebakers after WW2) told me that a dealership told him that some people wanted the side trim when the 1955s came out so it would look like they had the latest model.

Comment

Working...
                        X