Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Car Cover: 62 GT Hawk

Hi,

Been busy for a while so not posting...sorry, My wife bought a boat (older and needs $TLC) and a BMW (nice new and shiny). So my Hawk is being evicted from the garage spot. Any advice on a car cover for the old girl to sit outside. Location is Central East Coast Florida, no snow, plenty of rain in the summer and salt spray from the evening sea breeze.

Obviously remove the rear antenna. No side view mirrors.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Studebaker1962

You don't need a car cover you just need to set some priorities garage wise. All joking aside, I have tried lots of car covers and never found one that is not a pain in the butt to use outside. They tend to hold moisture promoting mold and rust or you are chasing them down the street when the wind blows. I don't care how much you pay for one or how good there guarantee is they just don't last in the weather. I'd spend the money on a rental storage garage until the boat sinks.

Comment

Check with SDC member Rick Hawkins, last I knew he was selling car covers that really fit and many different uses to select from. http://wellingtonclassics.com/
      Plus he knows which type is best for what location.

Comment

I just bought one from California Car Cover for my 61 Hawk. It fits beautifully and the elastic pulls nicely under the bumpers. I don't think anything less than a Hurricane would blow it off. However, I must agree that a car cover outside is probably not the thing to do for long term outdoor storage. You would need to pull it off regularly to let the car dry off and wash and dry the cover.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I will second Rick Hawkins! I bought one from him a long time ago and still use it! Mine is for inside but he can advise you on what to get. Just know that it won't be junk.
          Carey
          Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
            You don't need a car cover you just need to set some priorities garage wise. All joking aside, I have tried lots of car covers and never found one that is not a pain in the butt to use outside. They tend to hold moisture promoting mold and rust or you are chasing them down the street when the wind blows. I don't care how much you pay for one or how good there guarantee is they just don't last in the weather. I'd spend the money on a rental storage garage until the boat sinks.
            I agree.
            Either build a lean on the side of your garage or buy a Menards metal shelter. A month ago the paint on my 1999 Olds was ruined by a car cover when the rain leaked through the seam and it stayed wet for a day. Now the hood and fender have white areas in the paint, and it won't polish out.

Comment

Put boat out of the garage and buy a cover for the boat. The boat was built to be exposed to water all the time, your car was not. If it were me I would build a lean to as suggested in other posts for the boat if it was that critical. I had boats for many years and none of them were covered and they survived quite well. Unless it was some super expensive classic like a wooden 1930-40's Chris Craft. If you can afford one you should be able to afford it's own boat garage.

Comment

be even cheaper to buy one of those cheapo metal carports for the boat and bury it next to the fence line out back...
                or a boat-cover unless it's a sailboat. then the best is the carport... No need for the boat in the garage.

Best 2 days of a boat owner's life..... The day he bought it, and the day it was gone....

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker1962 View Post

My wife bought a boat (older and needs $TLC)

Break Out Another Thousand

Comment

Working...
                  X