Rocker cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rocker cover gasket

Does anyone know where I can find a pair of rocker cover gaskets for my 63 289. I had taken mine off, disposed of the old rotten gaskets, stripped and repainted the covers and was ready to reinstall them when I discovered I was unable to purchase neoprene/rubber gaskets from either Studebaker Parts or Studebaker Intl. They both had the cork type in stock but we're out of the other.
    Any suggestions on where else to look for a pair of these? I am already to put this thing back together and get it on the road once again and I am hung up needing this part.
    Mike Kelly
    Regional Manager
    Texas
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Give Dave Thibeault a call 978-897-3158. If he doesn't have it he can probably find it.
    Nick

Comment

I tried Napa and could only get the whole set so I had to go to Stude International.

Comment

Stude International doesn't have any in stock. I'll give Dave a call in the morning.
        Thanks.
        Mike Kelly
        Regional Manager
        Texas
        1963 Lark Cruiser
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

A bit closer to you is Chuck Collins in Phoenix Az., 602 995 5311. All this information is found in Turning Wheels , Are you a SDC. member? All our venders advertise in it. Lou Cote

Comment

The issue here is that Fel-Pro, a major gasket supplier, is no longer making molded "Felcoprene" or synthetic rubber gaskets. These were molded, not stamped from sheet. So, most Studebaker suppliers will only be able to provide cork gaskets now and in the future. Be happy with what we can get is the answer.

Comment

Try Ebay, I found mine there.

Comment

I am a SDC member and I spoke with Studebaker Parts (Chuck Collins group) this morning and they were out of stock there. I guess I was hoping to find someone or another vendor might have a few extra sets on hand and that they might be willing to part with one.
                Thanks
                Mike Kelly
                Regional Manager
                Texas
                1963 Lark Cruiser
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I just got a pair from an SDC vendor and he just had the cork ones which work good, but are just not as "reusable" as the neoprene ones.

Comment

Michael, I sent You a PM.

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
                    Does anyone know where I can find a pair of rocker cover gaskets for my 63 289. I had taken mine off, disposed of the old rotten gaskets, stripped and repainted the covers and was ready to reinstall them when I discovered I was unable to purchase neoprene/rubber gaskets from either Studebaker Parts or Studebaker Intl. They both had the cork type in stock but we're out of the other.
                    Any suggestions on where else to look for a pair of these? I am already to put this thing back together and get it on the road once again and I am hung up needing this part.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Looks like cork is the only one commonly available, except for left over stock. Since newer engines seem to use less gasketing materials, relying on sealants instead, the gasket business is drying up. Big block Chevy's too, are getting cork only, so we are not alone. Time marches on-without us.

Comment

I got a pair of neoprene rocker cover gaskets from Studebakers West a few months ago. (650 threesixsix-8787) Don't know if they have any more or not.

Paul
                        I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Fel Pro always included both styles of valve cover gaskets in their sets. Locate someone with a vehicle using the older style (pre '61?). He may have the newer style he didn't use stashed away somewhere.
                          American iron, real old school
                          With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                          With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                          With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                          The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                          I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

I recently installed a new set of cork gaskets in my 63 259. After 3K miles, the right valve cover started leaking. (due to a loose nut) I shopped around trying to find a set of the rubber gaskets, and gave up. I just pulled the valve cover and used a new product that stands up to gas and oil called "The Right Stuff" in BLACK (the gray is not as resistant) It comes in a cheez-wiz type can and is $15-$20 per can and the nozzle is a PITA, but the stuff works VERY well. I applied it in a 1/8" bead on top of the cork gasket and reinstalled the cover and took care of my leaks! It is designed for all the new vehicles that don't have pre-formed gaskets. It even states you can install the pan or cover, fill it with oil, and drive it immediately.

Make sure to clean the surfaces with brake cleaner and a lint-free rag, and it will work well! The nice thing is that I could drive it in about 20 minutes after installing it! I also use it to seal my wheel bearing covers on the front wheels to keep the grease where it belongs! (my caps were so dented and beat up they started leaking when it got hot) I bought new ones since.
                            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Unable to find any cover gaskets, I ordered an engine overhaul gasket set from Nostalgic. Not cheap, but I figured it would be a good thing to have if there were future work on the engine. The set came with two sets of cover gaskets. Both were cork, and of different thickness. I used the thick set and no more leaking. After cleaning the covers, I cemented the gaskets onto them and then smeared a light coat of grease on the other side. During the installation the gaskets stayed fastened to the covers and the grease allowed some movement without damaging them. This method should allow for the gaskets will come off cleanly and stay with the covers the next time they are removed. I had removed the covers to fix some leaking and to adjust the valves.

(o[]o)

Comment

Working...
                              X