Henry gets a new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry gets a new engine

Well, the first step is complete. The engine is out and we didn't scratch or damage anything along he way. Now I just have to clean up all the pieces and get them ready to install on the new engine when it arrives.

We pulled a main and rod cap. The bearings were in rough shape and the crank had some pretty good or bad groves in it. There was a grey / black muck in the bottom of the oil pan, in the oil filter and throughout the engine. I am assuming this stuff is the worn away bearing crankshaft material.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Wayne, don't keep us in suspense! What is going back into the Hawk?

BTW, that is a really clean work space!!
    Last edited by r1lark; 06-13-2016, 04:21 AM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Wouldn't you want to rebuild the engine you have, so you keep the correct engine with the car? It's nice when parts match the build sheet including the engine number.

Comment

It wasn't the correct engine anyway. The engine that came in the car from the factory had a cracked block. I had to have the parts car engine built to go in the car.

Nothing exciting going back in. Jack Vines is building me stock 259 full flow long block. This car will be a cruiser, not a hot rod. I wanted the smoothest running engine I could get, and my research tells me that is a 259. Since I was getting a new engine anyway, I decided to go to a full flow block. The engine that failed had an R1 cam in it, and it was never as smooth as I wanted it to be. Hopefully this one will be better.

I think the 259, T86-OD and 3.31 rear will make for a nice driving car.
        Wayne

sigpic

Comment

...as long as you're not in too many hilly areas, should be fine....especially with 3sp

Comment

I'm serious here.
            Thank you for orienting the concrete blocks correctly.
            [It's a pet peeve of mine.]
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

First thing that caught my eye was the cement blocks also. I have seen too many the other way over the years

Comment

wow , awesome color!

Comment

Yea, I am the one under the car so I always set the blocks the right way. I wish there was a good place for jack stands up front but I haven't found one yet. Every spot I try either causes the frame to flex more than I like or the base of the stand is in the way where I can't get where I need to be.

Thanks 14x7. The color is called cinnamon mist metallic. It is almost identical to the rose mist metallic the Studebaker used back in the 60's.
                  Wayne

sigpic

Comment

one thing that might do to help you in the future is fill those blocks with concrete. it MIGHT help keep them from crushing.

Comment

Its not Christmas in July, but its Christmas in August this year. New engine arrived from Jack on Monday.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3681.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1708778
                      Now the rush is on to get the car back together for our local Labor Day weekend car show.
                      Engine is painted and back in the car.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3684.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1708780
                      Should be able to participate in IDYSD for the first time this year.
                      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Nice. Looks like you have your work cut out for you to make the Labor Day show. I hope you make it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                          Yea, I am the one under the car so I always set the blocks the right way. I wish there was a good place for jack stands up front but I haven't found one yet. Every spot I try either causes the frame to flex more than I like or the base of the stand is in the way where I can't get where I need to be.

Thanks 14x7. The color is called cinnamon mist metallic. It is almost identical to the rose mist metallic the Studebaker used back in the 60's.
                          A Rose is a Rose, by any other Name! It is a very close match to 1963 Stude. Rose Mist Metallic.
                          Nice looking Engine, no offence to you or my buddy Jack, but that New Engine looks more Tan than Aluminum Silver!
                          Maybe it's the Primer.

Do not forget to Dial Indicate that Clutch Housing to the Crank Centerline of the replacement Engine.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rose Mist Metallic, Rambler called it Calais Coral, according to the paint charts they are the same. My first car a '63 Classic that I had for 10 years was that color. It looked slightly different originally but when I had it repainted in '71 it was spot on for Rose Mist. I wondered at the time if the primer made the subtle difference? But your Cinnamon Mist Metallic looks closer to my Rambler's Calais Coral than the Rose Mist Metallic. One of life's little mysteries that can bug you but mean nothing on the grand scale of life.

Comment

Bad Ju-Ju with concrete blocks... Lose 'em!
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X