Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistor or No Resistor Spark Plug Wires for 259V8?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Resistor or No Resistor Spark Plug Wires for 259V8?????????

Hi Gang, I know I asked a long time back but never got to the project and now I've forgotten: I'm doing a complete tune up. Should I use resistor or non-resistor plug wires on my 63' Lark 259 V8? My car is entirely stock, no whopped up ignition system and I don't plan on dragging it late at night on the interstate. Its the original Prestolite system. Just need to know what type of wires came factory issue?

Thanks!
    -George-

Resistor wires will help keep stray RFI noises at bay but will tend to break down over time unless you get the more expensive wire wound style. You can also get resistor plugs which allow the use of solid core wires.

Comment

Factory issue was resistor wire, and it was a dull maroon color, not black, if I remember right. If authenticity is not an issue, I would suggest getting magnetic suppression wire. No resistance to speak of, but better RFI suppression than resistor wire. It is more expensive, but no reason it won't last 100,000 miles.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I put a new set of plug leads on my Avanti last week. I bought a roll of 7mm silicone black jacket spiral wound wire from Summit Racing and used that for the leads. It's low resistance magnetic suppression so it doesn't bother the radio any more than the higher resistance wire it replaced. When I get around to it, I'm going to make up a set of plug leads for my 62 Hawk using the same wire. Since the insulation is silicone, it should last for a long time. I remember the maroon wire on my father's 62 Hawk started causing intermittent misfires after the car was about 2 years old. If I remember correctly, we replaced it with leads made from copper core Packard 440 wire which is something I would never do now. Bud

Comment

Curiosity. My '64 Daytona still has the old maroon, and apparently factory original, ignition wires. Still starts easy and runs strong with no detectable misfiring.
          Being a bit of a CASO, and of the old 'School of If it ain't Broke yet, don't Screw with it', I've for the last decade resisted the notion.
          Anyone else here have a running Stude still sporting those old maroon wires?

Comment

I haven't seen set of the original maroon Prestolite plug leads on a running Studebaker engine in at least 40 years. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
              Curiosity. My '64 Daytona still has the old maroon, and apparently factory original, ignition wires. Still starts easy and runs strong with no detectable misfiring.
              Being a bit of a CASO, and of the old 'School of If it ain't Broke yet, don't Screw with it', I've for the last decade resisted the notion.
              Anyone else here have a running Stude still sporting those old maroon wires?
              I had a '53 sedan I got from the original owner that still had them. I replaced them last summer, just before I sold the car, due to ignition problems, but as it turned out the problem was with the distributor not the wires. They're probably still in my junk box, I didn't know the maroon wires were original, I figured they were a '70s replacement like the ones I put on my Mustang in high school.

Comment

Working...
              X