Jaguar thermostatic fan clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Jaguar thermostatic fan clutch

What modifications are necessary to us the Jag fan clutch on my 63 Avanti. Looks like the specifications regarding overall length and fan mounting distance will work fine. I read somewhere that someone used to sell a kit for this conversion but I can't find it. I'm attempting to quite down the fan noise I currently experience, I'm gambling that the Jag fan clutch will be quieter. Any input on this swap will be appreciated. Thanks.

Is yours an AC car with OEM fan clutch or just full time fan?

FWIW, there's nothing magic about the Jaguar fan clutch. A trip through a Pik'n Pull should find several which would work equally well.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack:
      My 63 is an AC car with OEM fan clutch. Works fine, it's just seems too noisy, I have read this problem seems common to the breed and I was hopeful that the thermo unit would help quite things down. My research shows pilot hole to be the same on Jag clutch as well as the water pump to fan mounting position and the slots on the water pump to clutch would indicate it would work on the Avanti water pump. About the only thing left is the holes on the fan to thermo unit, maybe that's where the problem is, still researching. Thanks for input.
      Larry

Comment

Yes, some fan blades are noisier than others, but I'm at a loss as to why one fan clutch would be quieter than another.

jack viens
        PackardV8

Comment

If the clutch is working right, why change it? The "wind noise" from the fan won't change, only when it disengages, change the fan itself if you find it too noisy. But watch the temp gauge carefully- too little "wind noise" might equal not enough air volume and result in overheating.

Comment

If the clutch is working right, why change it? The "wind noise" from the fan won't change, only when it disengages, change the fan itself if you find it too noisy. But watch the temp gauge carefully- too little "wind noise" might equal not enough air volume and result in overheating.

Comment

I'm aware the noise is coming from the fan but my information leads me to believe that a straight viscous drive is always engaged to some degree, 30-60% of pump speed depending on temperature. Whereas a thermostatic unit varies the percentage to a larger degree with temperature. I don't know how much difference it will make but for the economical buy in price I'm willing to gamble that the variable speed of the thermo clutch may lower the average fan speed. That aside, my quandary was and still is, will the fan bolt diameter fit the Jag clutch diameter, my quest for information continues.
              Larry

Comment

I owned an Avanti R-1 for twenty years and never was bothered by "fan noise." In fact, the lack of such might serve as a good warning bell since they tend to run on the "hot" side to begin with...

Comment

I did a search on the Bob Johnstone site and this thread came up

Comment

A modern fan with thermo clutch will run quieter at times, but also louder at other times. Unlike the viscous clutch, the thermo clutch constantly adjusts the clutch engagement, based on heat coming through the radiator. I run, "severe duty" Hayden thermo clutches on all three Studes and, for some reason, the clutch is fully engaged for the first 2-5 minutes after startup. After that, its like throwing a switch, as it quietens down suddenly. Afterward, it kicks in and out as needed.

I run 7-blade fans from 1970s-80s vintage Corvette, and they are nice and quiet, unless the clutch is fully engaged. I cannot imagine putting up up with that airplane noise all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                      I did a search on the Bob Johnstone site and this thread came up

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...clutch-amp-fan
                      Thanks, I saw that, problem is the adapter moves the fan too far forward for my purposes.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I've run into my first serious roadblock with the Jag clutch, the pilot hole is 3/4" and my Avanti is 1.155", quite a difference. That's too bad because I believe it looks doable in all other respects. I'm an old Chevy guy and that water pump pilot shaft on that Studey engine looks huge or is it uge. Anyway thanks for the input.
                        Larry

Comment

Originally posted by delavant View Post
                          Thanks for all the input, I've run into my first serious roadblock with the Jag clutch, the pilot hole is 3/4" and my Avanti is 1.155", quite a difference. That's too bad because I believe it looks doable in all other respects. I'm an old Chevy guy and that water pump pilot shaft on that Studey engine looks huge or is it uge. Anyway thanks for the input.
                          Larry
                          To use a common fan clutch with 5/8" hole: Take the thinnest Stude fan spacer you can find, and grind the male side flat. Then, make a .670" OD plug, about 1" long. Reduce half of it to .625". (I found a socket with just the right dimensions to use as a plug.) Tap the big end into the hole in center of the adapter, so it sticks out on each side. When the adapter is then placed on the water pump flange, one end should butt against the water pump shaft, and the other (smaller) end should stick out the (now flat) front side. That end on the front side fits into the pilot hole in the clutch flange. Once you install and tighten the flange bolts, it is permanently locked in place. It is as simple as that.
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 03-21-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Great idea Joe, I'm gonna look that one over closely and give it a try. I was over engineering the deal, I'm sure it's gonna be cheaper that having the machine shop make an adapter. Due to the ideal length for the Avanti I think I'm going to try the Jag clutch. Will have to juggle the dimensions a bit but should work. Thanks again.
                            Larry

Comment

Originally posted by delavant View Post
                              Great idea Joe, I'm gonna look that one over closely and give it a try. I was over engineering the deal, I'm sure it's gonna be cheaper that having the machine shop make an adapter. Due to the ideal length for the Avanti I think I'm going to try the Jag clutch. Will have to juggle the dimensions a bit but should work. Thanks again.
                              Larry
                              Yep. Sounds like you get the gist of the idea. With that, you can come up with something to fit your needs, I am sure

Comment

Working...
                              X