Heater control valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Heater control valve

Any suggestions where I can get a replacement heater control valve?
    Peter Bishop

Check with Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Studebaker International advertise rebuilt heater control valves on page 196 of their catalogue. PN 532880 1953 to 57 all models & 1962 Hawk. $89.95 exchange.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I rebuilt mine about 5 years ago for less than $10 usd and it is still working fine.. I don't remember the NAPA part number but it is a Ranco replacement part. Took a little over 2 hours, including draining and refilling the cooling system.

Comment

The Ranco repair is a slam dunk, but not for the faint-hearted, you gotta tear it apart and pound it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
            The Ranco repair is a slam dunk, but not for the faint-hearted, you gotta tear it apart and pound it back together.
            ...and take some pics and use a felt pen to put some witness marks on the different pieces so you can put it back together the same way it came apart. Ask me how I know this is a good idea....

Comment

Either rebuild it or, if you only use the car in good weather, block off (pipe plugs) the outlets/inlets where the heater hoses attach.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I removed my factory valve and installed a 3/4" ball valve with (2) brass hose nipples. I have not taken the time (yet) to set it up to be actuated by the cable from the inside, but I will eventually. Right now, it's a matter of popping the hood, and turning the lever to be on or off. It's as simple as checking the oil (Which I have to do regularly anyway.) I thought I had pics, but don't yet.
                Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

NAPA part # 6601000 for the seals to rebuild.

The washers are available in stock at NAPA, Ranco valves were used on many makes and for many years.
                  Do be very careful handling the capillary tube and the bellows. Whatever gas was used in them stinks to high heaven if they are broken.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                  X