Radiator repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Radiator repair.

I just had my radiator repaired and the technician claimed that there was traces of oil in it.
    What would that indicate?
    The truck( 1959 4e1 pickup 6 cyl) runs good it has 40,000 original miles on it.
    where could it come from.?

Thanks, delorean81

Back in the days, it was common to add some cutting oil to the water to help the lubrication of the water pump. It might come from that. Also, an overgreased water pump (if there is a grease nipple of course) can reject some lubricant in the cooling system. As your engine is a flathead, I don't think oil can come by the cylinder head gasket.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, that's a relief, I installed the radiator yesterday and ran it for a while looking for leaks but all is ok.
      i am using a 7 psi radiator cap is too high.
      thanks for your help.
      Dmcmike.

Comment

You're welcome.
        To be on the safe side, you should drain the oil and look for water or coolant traces. Don't forget to clean the oil relief pressure valve. Then, you should be ready for another 40,000 happy miles.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
          You're welcome.
          To be on the safe side, you should drain the oil and look for water or coolant traces. Don't forget to clean the oil relief pressure valve. Then, you should be ready for another 40,000 happy miles.
          Nice day to all.
          A couple of thoughts regarding checking the oil for traces of water. As we know, water sinks to the bottom of oil, so you only need a small amount of oil from the bottom of the oil pan. It might be a little messy, but take a clear glass jar, and capture a small amount of oil from the bottom of the pan, quickly reinstall the drain plug. (No need to drain all the oil for this test.) Allow the oil to sit for a short time. Then take the jar, hold it up to light and see if you can observe water droplets separated from the oil in the bottom of the container. Another test with the same sample is to take a piece of white poster board, cardboard (or even a piece of sheet metal), hold it at an angle and pour the oil down it. Any water droplets will bead up and run quickly to the bottom.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You can also drain your oil into a clean container and request a sample analysis from Blackstone.com to get free sample bottles. Analysis costs about $25 per each (unless you get some add-ons) and will give a complete break-down of the oil and what it means. Also advises if there is water or antifreeze in it and what solution is recommended.

I have done multiple of these for my Toyota Land Cruiser in order to determine the life of the engine after I bought it. The previous owner (PO) did very little maintenance and it was suspect. Turns out it is great! Best $25 peace of mind I ever bought! (Next to the EPT........)
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
            X