53 Commander Fender Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Commander Fender Repair

So we got the fenders back from the blaster today, so we started to fit the parts I was making the past few weeks.

Now hoping I can get some time to finish welding them in tomorrow. Thanks for looking
    Last edited by ProMetalShop; 12-16-2015, 06:21 PM.

Must be a -very- rare '63 Commander. ;-)

Comment

Thanks for the catch ! !

Comment

Again great Metal Fab,and fitment abilities
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Very neat indeed! Thanks for sharing.
          sigpic

Comment

Excellent work, I hope you have made patterns as you may now get requests for more 53-54 repair pieces. If you had posted this a month ago it would have saved me the hair pulling experience (which I cannot spare) of doing my own fab work in this area of my fenders. What part of Pa are you in and when do classes begin.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Fender Repair 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1703046
            Bill Foy
            1000 Islands, Ontario
            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Bill, it looks to me you've done a fine job as well ! ! I have saved patterns, but I would have to find a less time consuming way to fabricate some of the pieces. One individual piece is a bit tougher out of the rest.

The others not so bad. Also I can see where with out some pattern or installation jigs, it may be difficult for the end user to install without questioning fitment. I thought maybe some of the easier parts, less time consuming, but this leaves some of the major pieces being distroyed or at the very least in poor condition after removing them and trying to reinstalling them.

I spoke with another fellow and he said most guys would rather purchase another fender and salvage the parts from there. Maybe in time I will venture into some production, but for now I can only offer guidance as some dive into there own repairs.

If if you find yourself attending Spring Carlisle Events, I will be doing a free metal workshop all week. But for now I will be glad to help where I can by answering any tech questions you may have.

Comment

Please post which Carlisle Event when the time comes.
                I fixed the same piece using several smaller patches, aligning them against fender almost after every hammer strike and weld...it seemed like that as well.
                Your photography skills are also very good, I believe my camera was built by etcha-sketch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Fender Repair 001.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1703049Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Fender Repair 002.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1703048
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Bill, you've done an excellent job on your repair.... My photo skills come by way of iPhone 6S so I can't take credit. The Spring Carlisle is April 20-24 2016. I will most likely start Thursday till Sunday. Not sure how long on Sunday, depends on the crowd...

Comment

ProMetal,

Very nice work. I am interested in patterns if available. I will PM you after the holidays.

Jon Kammer

Comment

Very nice work indeed; congratulations. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you guys
                        one last repair before I send this one home so the owner can give them to the body shop. This front corner had a horrible fit with the grill and it was a bit thin. It had a tiny bit of reverse curve but didn't take long to get it in shape and welded up. Just forgot to take more pictures of the cut out.

Comment

Thank you Jon K. I could work on some patterns......

Comment

I well remember spending many hours doing these same areas on my '53. Had to make that same trapezoidal shaped part goes under the headlight bucket for one side and had enough good metal left to just patch the other. Someplace I have 35mm prints of it.

The left fender assy was pieced together from 3 separate sources; near NOS outer with damage at the nose that needed repairs, apron from my original fender, and the air deflector that also needed repairs came from a mildly rusted out junkyard fender that was otherwise wrecked from a old accident.

Also patched the rear part that is behind the grill that you made from scratch (!!). Since those parts are not real visible when the car is together and grills installed, I didn't do any finish work on my welding other than grind it level.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Nice going Steve, did You have to do any work on the rear portion of the front fenders ?

Originally posted by ProMetalShop View Post
                              Thank you guys
                              one last repair before I send this one home so the owner can give them to the body shop. This front corner had a horrible fit with the grill and it was a bit thin. It had a tiny bit of reverse curve but didn't take long to get it in shape and welded up. Just forgot to take more pictures of the cut out.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X