Front sits too high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Front sits too high

When I got my freshly restored Sky Hawk, the front end sagged noticeably on the driver's side. I too kit to a body shop and they installed shims in the coil springs to make it sit even, but now it's too high in the front. I later learned that the car had been parked on uneven ground, causing the frame to twist. I'd really like it to be corrected. Suggestions?
    peter lee

I doubt very much that the frame is twisted unless it was so rusty and rotten that by parking it on uneven ground it twisted.
    In one of your posts you mentioned "freshly restored"
    It maybe that the car was cosmetically restored with fresh paint but underneath it is a mess.
    Your uneven stance up front maybe due to frozen "A" frames or shocks that move very stiff.
    Join your local SDC chapter and maybe one of the oldtimers can look at it and see the condition of the frame and "A" arms.
    Skyhawks are beautiful and rare and should be preserved.
    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

This car was expertly restored, and any rust damage was repaired or replaced. Also, I am a member of the SDC, Long Island Chapter. The car otherwise rides and handles well. It has new springs, shocks, and bushings. Any other ideas?

In one of your posts you mentioned "freshly restored"
      It maybe that the car was cosmetically restored with fresh paint but underneath it is a mess.
      Your uneven stance up front maybe due to frozen "A" frames or shocks that move very stiff.
      Join your local SDC chapter and maybe one of the oldtimers can look at it and see the condition of the frame and "A" arms.
      Skyhawks are beautiful and rare and should be preserved.
      Robert Kapteyn[/QUOTE]
      peter lee

Comment

I think that "new springs" is a clue. I believe that they were not installed correctly. If the front end components were tightened up without a load on them, such as hanging free, the suspension will not react/move correctly. Eventually, the rubber bushings will give some and the ride height changes. I believe that this is what you experienced.

You said that you took it to a body shop. Did they put it on a frame machine to check the frame for alignment? IF the frame is bent, it is probably from an accident, not from sitting on uneven ground.

Your Sky Hawk is sounding more and more like a wreck that was rebuilt for street/not show use in a shop I worked in in the Hudson Valley (car not from there, but from the NE) in the 1970s or possibly early 1980s.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Can you provide a picture? A lot of Studebaker models had a "nose high" stance from the factory. (maybe not just Studebakers in that era). Yours could be "factory correct". If not or if you want more of a modern stance, there is a big variety of stock springs to choose from that would enable you to "dial in" the ride height. The springs from any 51-66 car will fit with a big variation in height and wire gauge.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The "OTHER" thing you need to check is did this "Restoration Shop" install BOTH of the Front Coil Springs with the bottom coil end pointing forward and Inboard?

To get the Car level, they MUST be installed the same.
            Also do not ignore the fact that "NEW" is not always perfect, a "New" Shock COULD be stuck.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-29-2015, 12:45 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So... you get 2 exact front coil springs. You install them correctly. On the driver's side you have all the steering gear, shaft, pitman arm, etc, a battery and any driver related pedals, gages, etc......I would expect the car to sag on the driver's side. But out back... you need to install the leaf springs in the correct frame holes...!

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                So... you get 2 exact front coil springs. You install them correctly. On the driver's side you have all the steering gear, shaft, pitman arm, etc, a battery and any driver related pedals, gages, etc......I would expect the car to sag on the driver's side. But out back... you need to install the leaf springs in the correct frame holes...!
                All this is so, but remember the engine and transmission assembly are installed offset to the right side, which may cancel the weight of the items you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                  All this is so, but remember the engine and transmission assembly are installed offset to the right side, which may cancel the weight of the items you mention.
                  Every Stude I have owned (30+) has set level side to side (maybe not front to rear )Sagging to one side or the other is not normal.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I am not sure about Studebakers, but several Dodge models I have owned had different colored springs, left and right. The heaver duty
                    spring was for the driver's side. Two light duty or two heavy duty could make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X