Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost keys , have original code for them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Lost keys , have original code for them.

I JUST LOST THE ONE AND ONLY KEY TO MY 58 SCOTTY , I have the original factory tag from the factory that it came with, with the cutting number 4259S , The blanks are available "BUT" is there any way of tracking the number for cutting it. Is there anyone leave in the world that would have these codes numbers?
    I just put all new matching locks in it not to long ago so I really don't want to replace anything.

Google and contact Welworth Lock Company in downtown Indianapolis. This transaction is small enough, and you have the numbers, that it could be handled with a credit card through the mail.

No guarantee that they can help, but they have always been able to accommodate any Studebaker lock issue I've thrown at them...and had been in business right where they still are today for decades before your 1958 Scotsman was built! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You might try local, well established locksmiths in your area. Twenty years ago I had the same problem with my just-purchased '64 Avanti. My local locksmith still had the books, cut me a new key, and I was off and running.
      -Dwight (studedwight)

Comment

Many years ago I lost the only ign key to my car. I hot wired it and drove to a local locksmith who felt out the tumblers and filed out a new key in ten minutes.

Comment

So this begs the question. If someone has only ONE key, why wouldn't they have a spare/duplicate key made BEFORE they lost the one key?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            So this begs the question. If someone has only ONE key, why wouldn't they have a spare/duplicate key made BEFORE they lost the one key?
            That's something I can't figure out either. I told my neighbor to get duplicate keys as soon as he bought his 1950 Champion, but he didn't and soon lost his only key. He had to remove 2 locks and have a locksmith 50 miles away cut new keys. Quite an expensive lesson.

Comment

Which locks are keyed alike on a 58? If doors and ignition, pull a door lock, take it to a locksmith and he can match it in no time and make you a key. By the time you find some one with the original codes, you could be driving again with 10 extras!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                In my case, I did have a spare, but it was at home, 100 miles away.

I now always carry a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                  In my case, I did have a spare, but it was at home, 100 miles away.

I now always carry a spare.
                  Years ago I locked my keys in the car a couple times, so I finally got smart and had a duplicate door key made, and I carry it in my billfold.
                  Haven't locked my keys in the car since.

Comment

I found these fellows online that can cut Yale numbers into your supplied blank. They also have some key blanks in stock.

They were a great help in supplying trunk/glove box and door keys for my '47 Champion using just the key numbers (which I was able to get from my original factory ticket).

Michael
                    mbhdesign -

Michael Hennessey
                    Proud Owner
                    1947 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Convertible

Comment

Working...
                    X