289 V8 into 50 Commander.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 V8 into 50 Commander.

Newb question. I know 51 cars were the first with a V8. What is different about the 50 that would prevent using 51 parts for a V8 install?

I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be. I do know the V8s they put in were 232ci and not 289ci. I'm sure it's doable, but not a bolt in swap.
    Try a thread search for 289 and 51 or 51 engine swap and see if some threads come up to help. Google too, for that matter.

Comment

Possibly a "V8 Engine Swap" (into a 1950) will bring up some good posts, I know we have several.

The Commander is a way better choice than the Champion, those swaps were poo, poo'd here for sure.

It still will be a Challenge due to the Tie Rods vs Oil Pan possibly.

A 232, a 224, a 259, a 289 or a 304, makes NO difference they all will be the same outside, and can be MADE to work, just a LOT easier in a '51 that was BUILT for a V8.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Guess I need to see the layout of a 51 front x member \ steering to compare to my 50.

Comment

The 50 Commander front suspension/steering is very similar to the 51 and later setup, although the motor mounts are different. It's the 50 Champion that is a one off unique design.

The chassis parts manuals and the shop manuals for those two cars will show the differences. It will be worth the cost of the manuals just to avoid expensive mistakes later on.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Years ago, I thought I would like to do a swap like this, but I really enjoy the 245 six for what it is. The only thing I would trade out would be a 3 speed overdrive trans, just because I love manuals.
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I put a 259 in a 54 Champion and it was an easy swap some mods but otherwise easy.

Comment

Working...
              X