Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Trunk Lock Will Not Open, The Key only Spins. 58 Silver Hawk

Hello,

I have a 58 Silver Hawk and for some reason the key only turns in the lock. I took the back seat out yesterday and crawled back and manually opened the trunk. I looked at the little metal wire that goes from the latch to the lock and it all looked good and then I tried the key and it again worked. I did nothing that I could tell but the key was unlocking it. I open and shut the trunk and it worked great until I drove to a car show and went to get the chairs out and low and behold the key just spun around and around. Could this be something sheared off in the lock or the latch or the little wire latch piece. Any ideas are appreciated as I am getting too old to remove the back seat and crawl through to open the trunk every time that I need something from there.

Take care and have a great day!

Check this out...

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrowtim View Post
      Hello,

I have a 58 Silver Hawk and for some reason the key only turns in the lock. I took the back seat out yesterday and crawled back and manually opened the trunk. I looked at the little metal wire that goes from the latch to the lock and it all looked good and then I tried the key and it again worked. I did nothing that I could tell but the key was unlocking it. I open and shut the trunk and it worked great until I drove to a car show and went to get the chairs out and low and behold the key just spun around and around. Could this be something sheared off in the lock or the latch or the little wire latch piece. Any ideas are appreciated as I am getting too old to remove the back seat and crawl through to open the trunk every time that I need something from there.

Take care and have a great day!
      The only cure I can see is to replace the tumbler, they are made of pot metal and do wear out. Dave

Comment

This happend to me on a front door.
        The projection at the end of the cylinder lock was broken. I filed the end of the cylinder flat. Then, I drilled a hole slightly smaller in diameter than the broken part where it was located. Finally, I tapped the hole and used a screw with an unthreaded portion at the top cut to the right length. I used Locktite to secure it. It has worked fine for the last three years.
        I hope this helps.

Add-on.
        I've just find the thread where I read this first.
        Last edited by christophe; 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I think that I will crawl through again and review it again. I almost think that it may need the spring and rubber hose fix.
          Thanks Again!

Comment

Working...
          X