Door latch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door latch repair

I was having problems opening the doors from the outside on my '48 M16. In fact, I was actual bending the door handles trying to actuate the latch. The passenger side wasn't as bad so, I did that one first. With the knowledge I gained from doing the passenger side, I did the drivers side and took pictures to share.

First, I mounted the latch in my milling machine.

You can see the rivet that needs to be drilled out to remove the cover.

I drilled the river 7/16" deep and tapped it to #10-24 screw.

Cutting off the head of the rivet, the stamped steel cover popped right off.

These two pics show how badly the latch was worn.

You can see the threaded hole in the standing rivet.

With a little weld and some shaping, I recreated the mating surfaces.

Some locktite and a truss head screw, the latch is reassembled.

Of course, everything was greased upon assembly.

The inside actuator showed no wear so, I didn't have to mess with it. I did take measurements of the locking pawl on the passenger side so I can make one for the drivers side to add a key lock.

I now have to break the habit of using too much force to open the doors. Neal

as long as they stay closed. Had a truck once not latch and the door swung open on a corner.
    sigpic

Comment

Now you've given me an idea.... Also that little clock spring is very important and if it breaks, the handle "falls down"

Comment

Neal,

Thanks for taking the time to Photograph, Explain and Post how you repaired these.
        It will make it much easier for anyone hesitating, or needing to repair the same in the future.

James
        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Working...
        X