'63 Avanti ? electronic ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: '63 Avanti ? electronic ignition problem

Your problem is unique to the unique aftermarket setup you have. You would need to Contact Dave or Mallory for help.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Have you checked for a good ground connection at the plug, or made sure your battery ground to the block is good? Past that I wouldn't have a clue if you put a new module in and it didn't work. Being intermittent I'd check for a bad connector in a plug, cracked insulation or broken wires to the module, or possible malfunction of the ignition switch--is it original? Can you jiggle the key when it's running without it immediately killing the engine once you get it to run? Mine is worn, but only affects the starter circuit, have to hold some downward pressure for it to hit the solenoid. After checking the "obvious" that would be my next move. I don't remember how to bypass the switch anymore to see if it runs that way. Some one here will be able to tell you where to jump the battery direct to bypass the switch without frying the new module.

Comment

Beege,try this, run a jumper from bat side of solenoid to + side of ballast resister with other wires removed, crank it up then turn off ign switch. engine should continue to run this way. if it runs OK check ign switch and wiring to ballast. to stop engine remove jumper at bat terminal first then tell us what you found. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          You would need to Contact Dave or Mallory for help.

Mallory doesn't exist anymore. MSD bought them and is discontinuing the name and their products. They're supposed to be offering support for Mallory products but who knows how long that will last.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have the same distributor. If I had your problem I would reinstall the dual point distributor. If the problem goes away the trouble is in the distributor. If not the trouble is external to the distributor. For testing a single point distributor would work just as well.
            The only question I had when installing mine wa, do I by pass the resistor when starting. E mailed Malory and never received a good answer. Without looking; I don't remember what i did. Too lazy to get up from my desk and walk to the garage. I did purchase the surge protector that Malory sells.
            Ron

Comment

Comment

In the end I am thrilled I never re-invented the wheel as it were, and kept my Jurassic Prestolite dual point dizzy!!

Still going strong at 109K:-)...........albeit with a re-build that included bronze bushed weights.

Comment

There are a couple things not mentioned on the install sheet when you buy a Mallory Distributor. First is what Mallory coil is preferred with the unit... The coil replacement is necessary if the reason for the purchase was to establish a correctly functioning, base system. All the sheet talks about is using the existing coil, with or without a ballast resistor. They're 'assuming' your coil is viable where in fact you don't know and it would be good form to install a new one anyway.....

Item # 2 was found out while poring over the Mallory Forums to sort out the correct coil.... Almost every thread dealing with installing a new coil ALWAYS mentioned installing the Mallory Surge Protector. It is placed inline with the coil. This is great insurance against the known fact that a voltage spike will KILL your optical module inside the distributor. The distributor sheet never mentions this at all....

It's been 2 years ago since my Mallory system was installed. Having previously marveled about using a Pertronix for almost 10 years, IMO, the Mallory beats the Pertronix hands down in starting, running and overall performance. No issues here yet and the car runs great..
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

finally sorted things out, I think

After testing and retesting the wiring and ignition components, I finally decided that my original coil had failed, and the new generic coil that the guy at the local parts store sold me was either incompatible with my setup, or bad out of the box. In the process, I had two ignition modules fail. I finally purchased a new coil (Accel 8140) and a new Accel 2005 ignition module, as well as the Mallory Surge protector that 64V-K7 suggested.
                    The car fired right up and, so far, it seems that the problem is finally corrected.

Comment

[QUOTE=64V-K7;941376]
                      Item # 2 was found out while poring over the Mallory Forums to sort out the correct coil.... Almost every thread dealing with installing a new coil ALWAYS mentioned installing the Mallory Surge Protector. It is placed inline with the coil. This is great insurance against the known fact that a voltage spike will KILL your optical module inside the distributor. The distributor sheet never mentions this at all....
                      QUOTE]

Looking looking looking for a surge protector, Mallory or otherwise. Nothing on fleabay. Further, the only one I could find was at Summit http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...e%20Protectors - an all purpose protector that was wired across the battery terminals, apparently limiting the entire car to 14.5 volts. Would this do the job in protecting the module, i.e not inline with the coil?

Comment

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

They call it a circuit guard scroll down to part 29371
                        Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for your help Fred; found a circuit protector in Oz, last one, from Eagle Auto. Tried Summit and Jegs in the US, both said "currently unavailable". They do seem rather scarce, even using MDS in the search. As for the Mallory 605, if anyone is currently on the lookout, the cheapest I found was $82.39 US from Speedoutfitters in the US on fleabay - Top search item on the list- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mallory-U...ZIAAMXQlgtTAkV~
                          As you can see, prices vary a great deal. In my case, I sincerely hope that the circuit protector stops this one from frying, otherwise I will be going back to a Prestolite 4108 with points/breaker. Quentin

Comment

Working...
                          X