Wagonaire Sliding roof locking links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wagonaire Sliding roof locking links

I'm starting to put the sliding roof locking hardware back on the roof and have a question about what the best lubricant would be for the locking link brackets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Locking Link Bracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1748309
    When I took them off there was a really thick, sticky, black substance under each one which I assume is the remains, after 50+years, of some lubricant. Since I won't be getting to this part of the roof again (I hope!) I would like suggestions as to the best, long lasting lubricant I could use in the reassembly. I am thinking maybe Dielectric? Suggestions??

Probably white lithium grease, it's somewhat water proof. It's used in door window mechanisms and such.

Comment

Studebaker used "Lubriplate" Brand White lithium grease for EVERYTHING! I can not say what the Black stuff is though, dirty white Grease?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I used to use a lot of white lithium grease, but found it separates and dries out, so I switched to Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease about 10 years ago.

Comment

Great information and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
          I'm just about to post another kind of dumb question but I have not done anything like this since 1961 so I'm a little rusty and unsure. There are so many new products and tools since I last messed with hot rods.
          Thanks again.
          Nick

Comment

I use Corrosion Pro spray grease made by Lubrimatic code #11401 on the can.

Comment

White lithium does in fact dry out. A synthetic grease may be way to go. TWChamp's Mystik JT-6 high temp red grease sounds like a great substitute.

Comment

Markwhawk, Son O Lark:
                Thanks for both suggestions. Love the Forum and the great folks always willing to take a few minutes to help someone else who is having a problem.

You guys are great! (contrary to your picture Son O Lark)

Comment

HEY! I think Son O Lark has a great picture.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRon View Post
                    HEY! I think Son O Lark has a great picture.

It is great but it isn't exactly what comes to my mind when someone says "great guy."

Comment

The picture is of the legendary 'rassler, Dick the Bruiser. He was quite famous here in the Midwest.
                      Last edited by Son O Lark; 08-12-2015, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X