Lost bell housing bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Lost bell housing bolts

I misplaced the bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine. Does anyone know what size they are so I can run out and get new ones?

Thanks,
    Sam

V8? 6? Truck? Car? Year? Just on my 63 V8 there are 3 different lengths of 3/8" coarse thread bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
      I misplaced the bolts that hold the bell housing to the engine. Does anyone know what size they are so I can run out and get new ones?

Thanks,
      Sam
      If they are 3/8" bolts the rule of thumb is to get at least as many threads engaging as the diameter of the bolt. So for a 3/8" bolts you need to stick the bolt (with washer) through the bell housing hole and make sure you have at least 3/8" sticking out the other side. 3/8" to 1/2" thread engagement should be plenty!! Also make sure that the shoulder (non threaded part) of the bolt doesn't keep the threads from fully engaging.

Treblig

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention that its a 289 V8 and 3 speed trans. Does anyone know what the bolts look like? Maybe I can figure out where I put them if I have an idea what I am even looking for.

Comment

3/8" X 16 X 1" ( 7 required )The thing is the 2 starter bolts, they are 7/16" and have a ground shoulder. If they are not the right ones you will have nothing but starter problems.

Comment

Thanks for the bolt size.. I sure hope the starter bolts are with the starter. The guy I am renting the garage from decided to put some of his stuff in the garage and made a huge mess of things. He put all my Hawk parts in the car and it appears a bunch of parts went missing or got mixed in with other stuff. I really hope the bolts turn up.

Comment

Working...
            X