'63 Avanti clutch pedal adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: '63 Avanti clutch pedal adjustment

The manual calls for 1/2" - 1" free play in the clutch pedal, but the pedal pressure is so high and so progressive that I can't tell where free play ends and disengagement begins. The clutch was engaging pretty close to the top of the pedal travel, so I adjusted the link that the shop manual says to adjust, and I measured the length of the clutch spring at 10", and now I need some advice. Does the free play require noticeably less pressure than the disengagement pressure in other Avantis? That is, is there a noticeable step in the pressure required to depress the pedal? Thanks.

Yes, at least every clutch I've used or worked on. One of the softest pedals I've used is the clutch on my friend's 1949 Chevy pickup. I wish my Model A was that soft.
    Anyway, if you can't feel the pressure difference with your foot, you should be able to feel it with your hand.

Comment

Yes, but maybe the return spring is wrong or too strong for your liking. Judge where it starts to engage off the "floor" then bring it up as normal, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way it should be "all on" and the rest should be "softer" and that's would be your free play plus or minus. Remember there is a return spring under the dash with an adjustable "P" bolt that is only supposed to lift the pedal from the full engagement point to the top of the travel, which also has a pedal "stop" adjuster. Try unhooking the return spring and see how it feels, pedal should drop some, but if not then, you'll need to check into clutch condition or linkage problems. With heavy wear on the clutch disc, the old B&B finger style pressure plates, the fingers can "over center" and become very hard to engage. Depending on how long it's been "close to the top" it may be time to take a look. Hope not, maybe the return spring will fix it for you.

Comment

OK, I released all the tension from the return spring and could not feel any free play. Got back under the car and adjusted the linkage IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and VOILA free play! I cranked the tension up on the return spring until it felt like I wanted it to feel and still had perceptible free play.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
          OK, I released all the tension from the return spring and could not feel any free play. Got back under the car and adjusted the linkage IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and VOILA free play! I cranked the tension up on the return spring until it felt like I wanted it to feel and still had perceptible free play.
          Great!! Another "not in the workshop manual" success!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X