57 SilverHawk 289 with oil coming from crankcase vent tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 57 SilverHawk 289 with oil coming from crankcase vent tube

I'm working on a 57 Silver Hawk with the 289 engine. Runs good, but has quite a bit of oil coming from the crankcase breather tube. Seems to be more than I would expect, but this is my first Stude, so not sure. Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

I'm thinking you could have higher than normal crankcase pressures, possibly because of worn rings.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by nefarmboy View Post
      I'm working on a 57 Silver Hawk with the 289 engine. Runs good, but has quite a bit of oil coming from the crankcase breather tube. Seems to be more than I would expect, but this is my first Stude, so not sure. Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
      More details would help. Is it worse after extended highway driving? Worse pulling long hills? What transmission and rear gear ratio?

Suggest doing a cold cranking compression test as per the Shop Manual. Then, a squirt of oil in each cylinder and repeat the compression test. That will tell us much about the condition of the rings.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        I'm thinking you could have higher than normal crankcase pressures, possibly because of worn rings.
        Or stuck rings.........

Had car been sitting for a long period of time before you got it?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

"crankcase breather tube"
          "crankcase vent tube"

Certainly engine condition is a suspect, but are you noticing the oil at the road draft tube that exits down low, near the road, or the breather cap in the oil filler up high on the engine?

Is the oil coming out at idle, or only after some road work?

The SAE paper concerning development of the original Studebaker V8 mentions having to add a baffle on the outside rear of the oil filler cap to prevent oil being drawn out by the blast of air from the cooling fan "at times".
          Fig 41 here -

The entire paper is at Bob Johnstones siter, here -

It looks like at least as late as 1957 Studebaker still was using the horizontal fin on the cast oil filler tube and the shield on the oil filler cap even on the offset tube on the Golden Hawk.
          Last edited by Dan Timberlake; 06-13-2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X