Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this really a '64 engine in a '57 body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Is this really a '64 engine in a '57 body?

Hello all,

Just inherited a '57 Transtar from my father-in-law. He purchased it from some farmer in Washington State 20 some odd years ago. Below are the numbers that I could find on the truck and engine block.
    Model: 3E-C2
    Cab#: 4273
    Trim#: T-6050

Raised numbers left of the oil filler column: 1554641
    Stamped numbers to the right of the oil filler column: 3EJ306

Near as I can figure that last numbers puts the engine at 1964. Is that right?

How do I go about ordering parts for this (like fuel pumps, coils)? Most everything should be '57 parts unless I start opening up the engine block right?

I also ordered a 1956-1964 Studebaker Pickup truck Repair Shop Manual from Faxon Auto Literature. Of course I can't find the 3EJ306 # in their listing of engine model #'s. Does anyone know if this repair manual still applies for the engine that I have?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Paul,
    Here is the SN listing...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

...and yes, that appears to be a 1964 259.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

We need pictures of that bad boy!

Dean.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance Dick!

My question about parts ordering stems from taking a look at sites like rockauto.com where they have everything organized by make/year/model. Obviously I have a mismatch between engine year and body year but how much of that really matters? i.e. if I wanted to get a new fuel pump. Switch to electronic ignition.

It would help to know too for my air filter. It's an oil air filter and I'm not really comfortable with it. Just have no experience. Hopefully this pic will give you some more info on that.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20141228_125356.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1696896

Paul

Comment

And this is all I have for pics. I should get the good camera out and take a few more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141228_125239.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1696897

Comment

Originally posted by Pauldo View Post
            It would help to know too for my air filter. It's an oil air filter and I'm not really comfortable with it. Just have no experience. Hopefully this pic will give you some more info on that.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]43954[/ATTACH]

Paul
            Paul, there is no need to be afraid of an oil bath air cleaner just because you aren't familiar with them. They are good, effective air filters. This was proven decades ago immediately after the Mt. St. Helens volcano eruption. The few vehicles extant in the area with oil bath air filters did better than those with dry-element air filters, according to a report I had from Co-Operator Advisor Dwain Grindinger, who lives in Washington state.

It helps to understand how oil bath air cleaners work. Here's a diagram (crude, I'll admit) of the innards:

The idea is that air (and any particles in the air) are pulled down the sides of the air cleaner body at high velocity, being drawn in by the engine's vacuum. But when they get to the bottom of the air cleaner, the air must make a sharp, 180-degree reversal to go back up and get in the carburetor. The particles can't make the bend, so to speak, and are thrust down into the oil bath, where they are trapped. Gravity sees to it that they gradually sink to the bottom of the oil pool, where they are held until you clean it out and replace the oil with fresh.

Remove the assembly and separate the two components; the lower oil container from the upper chamber. Clean everything thoroughly. Then get some 30-weight oil, preferably non-detergent, and fill the reservoir to the line indicated. Reassemble and you are all ready to go; nothing to buy except the oil.

You'll have a filter that used to be a popular extra-cost option in dusty or industrial climates, for heavy-duty air cleaning. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 05-20-2015, 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As said above, Oil Bath Air Cleaners are very easy to use and maintain. Both my '54 Plymouth and '67 Beetle have them and they work wonderfully. I usually clean mine out once a year, and I use a little kerosene to swish around in the bottom section to help clean out the sluge. Then I use Simple Green Cleaner and Hot Water to finish the job. Lastly a quick rinse with cold water. Refill to line on Air Cleaner with 30 W Oil & you're good to go!!!

Comment

The 1957 and 64 truck 259 engines were essentially identical, though the carbs will NOT be the same, and there may have been some differences in accessories, like generator, starter, etc. I'm not familiar with what manual that Faxon sells -- is it a copy of the one published by Studebaker? The factory shop manual cover is a sort of a pink color with red lettering, and is marked "Covering 2E through 8E series". It was originally published in 1956, updated annually, and is almost 2" thick -- so you should be able to find the section that applies to both your engine and the rest of the truck.

Your engine should have a full-flow oil filter mounted at the lower back end of the block, which is a good thing. The 57 3E-series oil filter would have been mounted in a separate housing mounted to the oil filler pipe at the top front end of the intake manifold.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Nothing in your one picture tells me it a 64 engine everything points to 57 even the color.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

My guess is that a '64 short block or stripped engine was installed in place of the original, with the original accessories, like carb, distributor, and water manifold being used. The distributor is definitely a non-window Delco, as would be correct for '57, and which was not used in '64.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Paul, there is no need to be afraid of an oil bath air cleaner just because you aren't familiar with them. They are good, effective air filters. This was proven decades ago immediately after the Mt. St. Helens volcano eruption. The few vehicles extant in the area with oil bath air filters did better than those with dry-element air filters, according to a report I had from Co-Operator Advisor Dwain Grindinger, who lives in Washington state.

It helps to understand how oil bath air cleaners work. Here's a diagram (crude, I'll admit) of the innards: ...
                      Thanks Bob! That helps a lot. And that diagram is pretty good for crude . Obviously it will be a keeper. The air cleaner that is.

Originally posted by Intrepid51 View Post
                      As said above, Oil Bath Air Cleaners are very easy to use and maintain. Both my '54 Plymouth and '67 Beetle have them and they work wonderfully. I usually clean mine out once a year, and I use a little kerosene to swish around in the bottom section to help clean out the sluge. Then I use Simple Green Cleaner and Hot Water to finish the job. Lastly a quick rinse with cold water. Refill to line on Air Cleaner with 30 W Oil & you're good to go!!!
                      Thank you Intrepid51. Great advice!

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      The 1957 and 64 truck 259 engines were essentially identical, though the carbs will NOT be the same, and there may have been some differences in accessories, like generator, starter, etc. I'm not familiar with what manual that Faxon sells -- is it a copy of the one published by Studebaker? The factory shop manual cover is a sort of a pink color with red lettering, and is marked "Covering 2E through 8E series". It was originally published in 1956, updated annually, and is almost 2" thick -- so you should be able to find the section that applies to both your engine and the rest of the truck.

Your engine should have a full-flow oil filter mounted at the lower back end of the block, which is a good thing. The 57 3E-series oil filter would have been mounted in a separate housing mounted to the oil filler pipe at the top front end of the intake manifold.
                      Yes Skip, my manual has the pink color with red lettering, super thick and says "Covering 2E through 8E series". And my oil filter is down low toward the back end of the block so for sure a 64!

Good to know about those 259 engines! I guess I should be prepared for some returns as I try and guess which part goes with which year. I've had some issues recently with the engine dyeing on me after it has been warmed up and then not wanting to start for a little while (but that's for another thread) so I'm going to be going through both fuel system and ignition system to see what is the culprit.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                        My guess is that a '64 short block or stripped engine was installed in place of the original, with the original accessories, like carb, distributor, and water manifold being used. The distributor is definitely a non-window Delco, as would be correct for '57, and which was not used in '64.
                        Excellent! Thank you. There really isn't any info left about this truck before roughly 1995 which is when my father-in-law bought it. He thought that it was the original engine and was surprised when I said that the identification numbers didn't match up.

Comment

That looks like an early delco dist. at the back. Doofus

Comment

Working...
                          X