Mirror placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Mirror placement

What is the precise/correct location for the left and right side mirrors on a 57 Commander 4dr sedan?

I'm not sure of the "correct" placement, but the closer to your eyes the better for field of view. I've seen guys mount twin mirrors way out on the front fenders, and this makes them quite worthless, and IMHO it just looks so wrong.

Comment

Tom is correct about the closer to your eyes the better. The majority at that time were dealer installed and I don't believe there is a factory template. I would sit in the car while someone moves the mirror to its most functional position and install it there. I've found the passenger side mirrors virtually impossible to serve a function. If you can get the passenger side mirror positioned to work for the driver, install the driver side in the same location. It's all a matter of viewing angle.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just forward of the space needed to open the Vent Window should be a good spot, sometimes that would be on the dog leg forward of the upper door post.

The Right side for the most part, does not matter because you may never be able to see anything important in it anyway, it's mostly decoration and why I never use one.
        I always have a good Rear View mirror properly adjusted, so no need. IF you bought a Convex Mirror Head, there MAY be some hope for it being useful.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Weren't all side view mirrors installed by the dealer where the buyer wanted them placed?
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Yes Post #3 mentions that, they go where needed for the Height and Leg Length of the Driver.
            I have no idea how they did it on the Factory delivered Cars that were prepped for Retail Sale and usually got a Left Side View Mirror and also the '55 Speedsters that were the ONLY Car that came Standard with them.
            Maybe they were stored in the Trunk like other Dealer installed "X" AC Items.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Yes Post #3 mentions that, they go where needed for the Height and Leg Length of the Driver.
              I have no idea how they did it on the Factory delivered Cars that were prepped for Retail Sale and usually got a Left Side View Mirror and also the '55 Speedsters that were the ONLY Car that came Standard with them.
              Maybe they were stored in the Trunk like other Dealer installed "X" AC Items.
              So now you want me to actually read the other posts before I respond???
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Just forward of the space needed to open the Vent Window should be a good spot, sometimes that would be on the dog leg forward of the upper door post.
                True but BEWARE! The mirror on my Lark is on the dogleg. Looks like it belongs there from the outside, but from MY driving position, I cannot even SEE the mirror for the A pillar!
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

My mirror on my 50 Champion is mounted just to the rear of the vent window opening. It looks good there I can see well with it there.

Comment

Working...
                  X