1947 Studebaker dump truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1947 Studebaker dump truck

Can any one tell me what engine this is it came out of a 1947 m-16 engine number on block is 3m38915. Thanks

Without checking the engine number, my guess would be it is the Big Six which is 245 cu. in. (4 liter). Basically the same engine that was put in the Commander and Land Cruiser cars.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

How would I check the engine number I can't find a chart anywhere also where is a good place to buy parts to rebuild this engine it spun a rod bearing ?

Comment

I believe the number you gave above would be correct. Parts are available from several sources. Go to your browser and type in Studebaker Vendors.
        I know that Studebaker International has many engine rebuilding parts for that engine. I believe they have full rebuilding kits. The only thing you will need to determine is if the block needs to be bored. This will determine what sized pistons you need. Hopefully the crank and camshaft are reusable.
        One other place you can check to determine which engine you have is to go to the SDC website and find the link to engine number ranges for various vehicles. That should give you a good idea of which engine is in your vehicle.
        Others may pop up here who can give you more specific information as well.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The 3M prefix means it's a 226 cu in Commander 6, the same engine used in the 47-48 Commander passenger cars. That's the correct engine for an M-16.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Ok thanks guys when doing a rebuild should i put hardened valve seats in the block?

Comment

I will have some extra internal parts soon, should have rods pistons and a crank....PM me after Saturday

Comment

Yes on the hardened seats.

Comment

I never install valve seats, unless there is a need for them due to badly recessed original seats, or to repair a crack.

Comment

Working...
                  X