No announcement yet.

Praying I can break the engine loose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Praying I can break the engine loose.

Soaked the plugs holes in oil yesterday. Praying in the morning I can get the motor to break free and at least turn over manually.

Don't expect it in one day! Soak, soak, soak! Use Marvel Mystery Oil or similar penetrable. if you can, remove the starter and pry the flywheel one tooth at a time with a prybar. Minimally traumatic. I soaked the cylinders in my '33 for over a month before getting it to loosen. It's been drivable now for over two decades without any major engine work.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ok Rockne. Can I try to turn the crankshaft without risk of damage? And does it matter in which direction?

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Don't expect it in one day! Soak, soak, soak! Use Marvel Mystery Oil or similar penetrable. if you can, remove the starter and pry the flywheel one tooth at a time with a prybar. Minimally traumatic. I soaked the cylinders in my '33 for over a month before getting it to loosen. It's been drivable now for over two decades without any major engine work.

Comment

No harm, but try to move one way just a tiny bit, then the other way a bit more, keep this up for a week or so, until it's able to be turned over. There may be a removable pan under the flywheel, there are devices that you can use to move the flywheel with them, they sort of ratchet on the teeth.

Be very patient. Once it's broken free, there still are probably frozen piston rings....best to remove the cylinders and fix them.

Comment

I was born without patience. But I'll try. Thanks for the tips.

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          No harm, but try to move one way just a tiny bit, then the other way a bit more, keep this up for a week or so, until it's able to be turned over. There may be a removable pan under the flywheel, there are devices that you can use to move the flywheel with them, they sort of ratchet on the teeth.

Be very patient. Once it's broken free, there still are probably frozen piston rings....best to remove the cylinders and fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by MilesofTx View Post
            I was born without patience. But I'll try.
            In the absence of patience, imagine the time you may spend working for the almighty dollar to cover the expense of impatience.

Originally posted by MilesofTx View Post
            ... does it matter in which direction?
            Nope!
            Last edited by rockne10; 04-29-2015, 08:55 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Last edited by sals54; 04-29-2015, 11:28 PM.
              sals54

Comment

Glad i dont have to mow that yard!!! Doofus

Comment

My car was in a garage for 35 years and last driven in 73 ish. It took one month before I could get it to free up.
                  sigpic

Comment

...... and don't you have windows and a bunch of things needed in this vehicle that would take time while the engine is soaking ? Get on to them. Make progress-and when that engine finally starts up.......you'll be in "high cotton" !

Comment

Be very careful turning with the flywheel, the teeth will break rather easily! Use the crank bolt if possible. Try ATF in the cylinders or check for penetrating oils here, there is one that uses ATF and I think glicerine that works well, I used it on a Grey Marine inboard that sat at the bottom of the lake for many years. Took about 3 weeks to free up and I got it running without taking it apart! Never did get the rings freed-up tho. -Jim

Comment

I do I do have a million things to do while I wait. But if this engine is shot. I'm not sure I will continue the project. I'm a fireman. So funds are limited. So I just want to see what I've got here.

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                        ...... and don't you have windows and a bunch of things needed in this vehicle that would take time while the engine is soaking ? Get on to them. Make progress-and when that engine finally starts up.......you'll be in "high cotton" !

Comment

I totally agree. I bought an 1 1/2" socket this morning. Gonna go give it a little test in a minute. I'll be gentle. Fingers crossed.

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                          Be very careful turning with the flywheel, the teeth will break rather easily! Use the crank bolt if possible. Try ATF in the cylinders or check for penetrating oils here, there is one that uses ATF and I think glicerine that works well, I used it on a Grey Marine inboard that sat at the bottom of the lake for many years. Took about 3 weeks to free up and I got it running without taking it apart! Never did get the rings freed-up tho. -Jim

Comment

Interesting comments. I've done this many times, and I prefer the right prybar in the flywheel teeth. In nearly 40 years, I have never seen a flywheel tooth break doing this.

I prefer the flywheel approach over the crank bolt, because I HAVE seen them break, or the head round off. Keep in mind, the much larger flywheel diameter compared to the small bolt in the crank acts like a major torque multiplier. That means the pressure on a flywheel tooth is much, much less than the same amount of force on that crankshaft bolt. Also, with a stuck engine, if you try to rock the crankshaft, you will frequently loosen the crankshaft bolt, which means you won't be able to get that reverse motion.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I've used a 50/50 mix of WD and ATF. I too pried on the flywheel for more force. I worked it back and forth until I could spin it with the starter having pulled all the spark plugs. I spun it until the oil pressure came up. BTW my Dad got a real soaking when it started to spin over from all the junk in the cylinders! We drained all the oil, changed the filter and after new oil we fired the engine. Lots of smoke initially but it went away quickly after the muffler dried out! I wound up re-gasketing the engine but never tore it down. I sold the car after putting over 50,000 miles on it. Good Luck and be PATIENT!
                              Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                              X