Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Up That Old Stude Engine? (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Starting Up That Old Stude Engine? (video)

This is for all the CASO's out there that want to save a buck by just starting up that old Stude engine.....

Look at what is in the pan on this video.
    A quick dump and re-fill is not going to get that gook out of the pan area....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Thanks Jeff!!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

His motor is fried. That tray that he is dipping the slime out of is what the connecting rods dip into. You can clearly see the oil slingers on the connecting rod caps.
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Andy Granatelli said "Looks OK to me"

Comment

So that's how they make jellied petroleum!!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That actually looks better than the mess in a B model Mack I saw. Nothing came out of the drain plug and, when the pan was removed, the residue looked like soft tar.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

just did an allis chalmers B the same way..... Sludge for oil....

Comment

Yuck! One of the jobs I had in my wayward youth was servicing a diesel power plant on a rock crushing operation. That oil reminded me of the oil bath filters I serviced.

Comment

Bad news had he not discovered that.

Comment

From the color, looks like maybe it had a lot of water in it and got stirred up from the short run before he dropped the pan. Wonder how old that oil was! Maybe even old non-detergent stuff. Does a Model A have a oil pump or is it all splash lubed?

In 1998 I bought a car from a salvage yard auction that had 1978 plates on it. Engine was stuck. After sitting over winter with ATF in the cylinders I got it loose. But, I did drain the oil before attempting to start it. Got only a few drops of water out but the oil did drain normally and I didn't see any globs or chunks. I did get it running badly eventually (sticking valves that bent some of the pushrods). Scary to think that now in 2015 that car has been setting down at the farm almost as long as it was at the junk yard before I got it!

BTW, loved that fella's choice of garage tunes. Sounds like Dick Dale & the Deltones

Jeff in ND

Comment

I don't know about the model A's but the later flatheads had a drain plug large enough so that you could put your hand inside the pan and scrape out what was on the bottom.

Comment

Model A's have an oil pump to lift the oil to the valve chamber. From there is gravity feeds through tubes to the main bearings, and the overflow in the valve chamber flows onto the timing gears.

On an unknown engine it's always good to drain the oil, then I take a bent coat hanger and stick into the drain hole and scape the pan bottom and carefully pull it out to see if it picked up any sludge. If it has sludge, then the pan gets dropped and cleaned out.

Comment

Working...
                        X