Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any brand x rear sway bars fit a 62 Hawks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Any brand x rear sway bars fit a 62 Hawks?

I just read about the 78 chevy front sway bar swap but do any brand x sway bars fit under the rear of a 62 Hawk. Would a sway bar from like a 55 President fit? Just fishin' fer ideas.

Would a sway bar from like a 55 President fit?
    Yes, several of the '50s long-wheelbase sedans had the rear bar.

I once used the rear bar off the Avanti.

Either of those rear bars are a bit wimpy and work best with the stock Stude front bar. If one has gone to the front BigAssBar from the GMs, a larger rear bar, such as the one Dave Thibault offers, would be my choice.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

About 10 years ago I installed some heavy-duty sway bars in a '53 coupe. I purchased them from Dave Thibeault. They were designed for a Hawk and fit just fine in my coupe. These were quite stout compared with the stock bars. Aren't they available anymore?

Comment

I third the Dave Thibeault bars.
        Bought one for my 54 wagon.
        Good material (real spring material..!), not just a paper weight like many are.

Mike

Comment

I was under the impression that the stock Stude bar would fit c/k cars as well as Larks and Avanti. Is there a difference ?

Comment

There are three types of stock rear sway bars in the post war era.
            -47-50 Commander/land cruiser
            -51-52 all models, but usually on commander/land cruiser
            -53 and newer all models, but usually on commander/president

Once they got into super Larks, super Hawks and Avantis, my knowledge is limited.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Studes with rear bars being standard are the long wheel base sedans.
              These are often referred to as 'Y bodies', and were built from '47-'58.
              Depending on the year they are known as Land Cruiser, President State, and President Classic, and Packard.

After '58 that all changed.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

As the bars are metal then some methods can be employed to shape them, especially the ends. I used a matched set from an 86 Firebird. I think the front was 1 5/8" and the rear 3/4". As the rear ends were a bit outside the dimensions I wanted I bent them with the 50 ton press at work. There are formulas but they are best used for straight bars and straight arms. I have seen stock 1960/70's Ford rear bars that fit the rear of late model Studebakers but I'm not sure if they were modified.

The main thing you need to look for is the length between mounting points on the differential and the frame. Having a frame mounted bar means less unsprung weight, which is better.

Len

Comment

I have a rusty one here in the shop, I think it is early but do not have all the pieces, I just sold a 55 4 door president state and it has one on it, I think the new owner will be putting it on his speedster, I will be delivering the car to the Placerville area on Thur. car is going to be used for parts needed for the speedster engine, trans, wheels, brakes and drums, flat windshield that is about all that will fit besides door handles ect. the rusty bar set up is for sale if interested.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

We have new rear sway bars in stock for 1953-66 models except Avanti. These are a heavy duty 3/4" type, powder coated black and beautifully finished. I can supply the bar by itself or as part of a kit with N.O.S. links, clamps, plates and new rubber bushes and fasteners. We have the spring plates in stock for the 1953-62 models, all 1953-58 cars should already have a spring plate with provision for a sway bar unless something has been changed.

I also have some used Avanti rear sway bars which I don't believe can be fitted to another model without a lot of work.

Chris
                    STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

I also went with the 80's Camaro bar on my '64 Daytona. A bit of finessing to get installed, but cheap (under $20 from Pick A Part). I had more to say about it here (scroll down near the bottom):
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by wittsend; 03-03-2015, 01:59 PM.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks for all the response everyone. In researching I read that AMC Javelin rear bars are a bolt on. How many of those are laying around? Wittsend what is the diameter of this Camaro bar? I've read on the forum, the way the Daytona front bar is set up you can box in the hanger and get more stable control. I'm unsure what the diameter of the Hawk front sway bar is (without laying in the snow and mud). Are all front bars the same diameter so a 3/4 inch diameter rear bar would be the choice. My 64 Cruiser wiggles under my butt when on a corner on uneven pavement it feels squirrely so I'm wanting my Hawk to be much more stable.

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact size I installed but I recall it being in the 3/4" to 15/16" range. Apparently they measure them in millimeters so you would have to convert. But, I quickly found this at the Camaro 3rd Gen. site(below). It is worth noting the variations used in the Camaros.

1982, 9 (f/r)
                          Base - 27mm/12mm
                          F41 - 29mm/12mm
                          Z28 - 31mm/21mm

1983, (f/r)
                          Base - 27mm/12mm
                          F41 - 29mm/12mm
                          Z28 - 31mm/21mm

1984, (f/r)
                          Base - 27mm/12mm
                          F41 - 30mm/12mm
                          Z28 - 32mm/21mm

In 1985, (f/r)
                          All cars except Z28 - 27mm/18mm
                          F41 cars - 30mm/18mm
                          Z28 - 32mm/23mm
                          IROC-Z - 32mm/24mm

The 1986 cars got: (f/r)
                          Sport Coupe - 30mm/18mm
                          Berlinetta - 27mm/none
                          Z28 - 34mm/23mm
                          IROC-Z - 32mm/24mm

The 1987: (f/r)
                          All Coupes - 30mm/18mm
                          Z28 - 34mm/23mm

1988: (f/r)
                          Sport Coupe - 30mm/18mm
                          Z28 - 34mm/23mm

1989: (f/r)
                          Sport Coupe - 30mm/18mm
                          Z28 - 34mm/23mm

In 1990, (f/r)
                          RS - 30mm/18mm
                          Base IROC-Z - 34mm/21mm
                          16" rim IROC-Z - 36mm/24mm

In 1991, (f/r)
                          RS - 30mm/18mm
                          RS with 16" rims - 34mm/21mm
                          Base Z28 - hollow 34mm/21mm
                          Z28 - solid 36mm/23mm
                          Last edited by wittsend; 03-03-2015, 09:08 PM.
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                            I was under the impression that the stock Stude bar would fit c/k cars as well as Larks and Avanti. Is there a difference ?
                            The '53 to '58 Long Wheelbase Sedan (Y Body) Rear Stabilizer Bar is completely different than Avanti.

The Avanti bar is a stand alone type that goes under the trunk floor where the Gas tank would be on all other models, so does not interchange to anything.

Millimeters? What are those?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                              I also went with the 80's Camaro bar on my '64 Daytona. A bit of finessing to get installed, but cheap (under $20 from Pick A Part). I had more to say about it here (scroll down near the bottom):
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ay+bar+daytona
                              Similar bars to mine. According to your list, and me going and measuring mine, I have the 1986 spec IROC-Z - 32mm/24mm bars. Mine cost me $16 each and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I fabbed up my own front mounts. http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...fbxlkfsbl.html In the details it reads 31.5mm but it's 32mm front.

Those bars and the Moog CC655 front springs, an extra leaf added at the rear, new gas shocks and all is well.

Len

Comment

Working...
                              X