1954 Coupe engine swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1954 Coupe engine swap questions

I have a '54 Starlight coupe that came to me with a '52 232 and 3-speed w/OD in it. So I have little to lose and a lot to gain by swapping in a later model Studebaker engine. I might have an opportunity to get a rebuilt '58 289 from a Silver Hawk. Will the 289 bolt up to my existing 3-speed bellhousing? Will the existing clutch pressure plate bolt up to the flywheel? Is there anything else that might give me a problem?

Thanks,

Pete
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Is the 289 a straight shift? If so, simple bolt in. If it's a auto. then you have to change the flywheel bolts. Simple answer, it's a piece of cake overall.

Comment

Didn't the 232" have a small diameter clutch? Might be OK if driven carefully.

Also, the Shop Manual recommends dial-indicating when a bell housing is bolted to a different engine.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

IIRC, You will have to re-do your fuel lines a little bit, as the fuel pump is on the side.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Can you get anything else from the Hawk? If you get the whole enchilada, i.e. accessories, pulleys, fuel pump, etc, that makes the deal easier. The engines are essentially the same from an outward appearance. As stated above, the flywheel bolts will be different from auto to standard trans. Its an easy fix, though. A 4bbl carb and dual exhaust will give you a slightly additional punch of power as well. I would highly recommend the later transmission. The early clutches are pretty small for the added torque of the 289 since they produced about 300 lb/ft in stock configuration. If you can find the wrenches in the tool box, you can do this swap.
          sals54

Comment

Have you driven it with the 232 in it? I always thought my 52 Land Cruiser had plenty of power for a 232 V8.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and info. I checked this AM and the engine is still available. It was rebuilt for (and probably came from) a '58 Silver Hawk but never made it back into the car (the owner passed away). I don't yet know how complete it is or whether it was for auto or manual transmission. Yes, my existing clutch is small, but I generally treat my classic cars pretty gently, so that shouldn't be a problem. Redoing the fuel line won't be a problem, but the different location of the fuel pump hadn't occurred to me. I would plan to use dual exhaust and four-barrel carb. The car will be a mild hot rod of the type my friends and I built in high school in the '50/60s. I only drove the car once with its 232 and that was up my driveway after delivery, so I have no idea how it really feels with that engine. But the 232 is so limited performance-wise with its small valve heads and the 289 has so much more in the way of factory performance parts, I just think it's the way to go. This car has had a rough life and had a lot of hidden rust when I got it; most of that is fixed now (still have some minor body rust repair to do). So I don't consider it a good candidate for a showcar restoration, but it's a great candidate for a mild hot rod.
              Pete R
              Woodbridge, VA
              1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
              1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

Originally posted by Pete R View Post
                Thanks for all the advice and info. I checked this AM and the engine is still available. It was rebuilt for (and probably came from) a '58 Silver Hawk but never made it back into the car (the owner passed away). I don't yet know how complete it is or whether it was for auto or manual transmission. Yes, my existing clutch is small, but I generally treat my classic cars pretty gently, so that shouldn't be a problem. Redoing the fuel line won't be a problem, but the different location of the fuel pump hadn't occurred to me. I would plan to use dual exhaust and four-barrel carb. THE CAR WILL BE A MILD HOT ROD of the type my friends and I built in high school in the '50/60s. I only drove the car once with its 232 and that was up my driveway after delivery, so I have no idea how it really feels with that engine. But the 232 is so limited performance-wise with its small valve heads and the 289 has so much more in the way of factory performance parts, I just think it's the way to go. This car has had a rough life and had a lot of hidden rust when I got it; most of that is fixed now (still have some minor body rust repair to do). So I don't consider it a good candidate for a showcar restoration, but it's a great candidate for a mild hot rod.
                This is why I would recommend a larger clutch. If its a hot rod, you may very well, at some point, try to drive it like one. If thats the case, you'll wish you'd installed the larger clutch. They are cheap and easy to find. All the V8 trucks had larger clutches, and all the later cars had them as well. Just do it now. Its only an added cost of $50 - $100, so you may as well get it out of the way now.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  This is why I would recommend a larger clutch. If its a hot rod, you may very well, at some point, try to drive it like one. If thats the case, you'll wish you'd installed the larger clutch. They are cheap and easy to find. All the V8 trucks had larger clutches, and all the later cars had them as well. Just do it now. Its only an added cost of $50 - $100, so you may as well get it out of the way now.
                  IIRC, some of the larger later clutches won't fit inside the early bell housing.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Jacks right about the clutch. Be sure to check for clearance if you go larger. I have a 55 clutch housing in my 53 with a 289 and the larger clutch fits it. It also makes a difference what rear gears you are running as the strain on the clutch. Lower gears are easier on the clutch. If you are going to do hard starts it probably would be a good idea to go to a little larger clutch.

Comment

Just a thought to keep in mind. If you change flywheels and use a 55 you can use your starter. If you use a 56 up you will need to use a matching starter. Forgot to mention this earlier.

Comment

If you use the small clutch put in stronger springs in it. I was having trouble with a slipping clutch at the Newport Hill Climb and Ted Harbit suggested it and it works great.

Comment

A '58 would have the Long Tail Transmission requiring you to change your bolted yoke, 2 piece driveline for a one piece one and remove part or all of the Center Support and Crossmember.

A T-86 3 Speed Overdrive Trans. would be a way better choice than a Std. T-86 without O.D.
                          And yes you do need the Clutch housing, Flywheel and Clutch for a 289 Hawk, '52 Parts are way too weak. A 232 has 120 HP, a 289 has 225 and more with mods.
                          You need the Diameter and the Spring Tension of the 10 1/2 Inch or 11 Inch Clutch.

As Sal said: "you need the whole enchilada".

You do know that a '52 232 is the same as a '54 right?
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-16-2015, 08:13 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            IIRC, some of the larger later clutches won't fit inside the early bell housing.

jack vines
                            Yer right Jack.. they won't. I shoulda been more specific. Get a later model T85 transmission as well. They are not terribly hard to find and will withstand the torture of all the burnouts, drag racing, corner drifting and other sorts of terrorizing of women and children you're likely to get yourself into with this wicked hot rod of yours.
                            sals54

Comment

better yet put in a 4 speed, I have a set of both styles and about as much work as the 3 speed.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X