Inside valve covers dry on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Inside valve covers dry on top

I'm having a R2 Plus cam installed in my 60 Lark 259. Mech pointed out that the valve covers are dry inside top. I'm using aluminum finned covers (Offy?) is this normal. No oil gauge just idiot lite. Engine is quite and oil lite does not come on even when idling.

If the engine has been running in the last year I'd say that is not normal.
    I would check to see that the Rocker Arms ARE getting Oil. You can leave one Valve Cover off and idle the engine after warming it up just a bit with them both on. Even just doing the warm-up, would put some Oil all along the outboard drain channel when the cover is removed.

If someone has disassembled the Rockers and installed the Shaft backwards, there would be no Oil. Also it is not hard to screw in a Oil Pressure Gauge in the Oil Pressure Switch hole at the rear inboard corner of the Right head.

Does the Oil Pressure Indicator Light come on with the Ign. in "ON" mode and not running as it should?

More history on this Car or it's Engine may be needed for us to help more.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We've had an ongoing thread about the three (or more) different rocker arms, adjusters or shafts Studebaker used over the years. It's not unusual to see the incorrect combination of parts. First step, look ad the top of the adjusters and the hex.

If your '60 is original, it would have the early shafts, second generation rockers and 1/2" hex adjusters. Photos of the hole in the top of the adjuster would help confirm the variant you have.

While the rocker cover is off for valve adjustment, run the engine and visually confirm how much oil is getting to the valve tips.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Oil press lite comes on when ignition switch is in on position. I was looking for a quick fix. Mech doing cam install didnt bring this to my attention until eng had been removed making it impossible to run. If the top end of eng wasn't getting oil would it not be noisy. I've driven approx 2000 mi total in the last two years and nothing has gone bang. The aluminum valve covers are considerably higher that stock covers. Looked at stock covers and there is a black film inside the whole cover. Eng doesn't have blow by. I had a 2-Deuce sit up installed by a Stude mech and to show me how it worked he cracked the throttle wide open 3 times without any ill effects.

Thanx looking forward to more good info

Comment

I like your attitude Jack. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Comment

If the top end wasn't getting oil, I'd think it would be not only noisy, but glowing cherry red!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Prescott View Post
              I like your attitude Jack. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
              That's how I feel also, except in this case if the rockers aren't getting oil, they may soon be broke. I'd run the engine with the covers off to make sure they are getting oiled. That is when it's reinstalled. Right now I'd make sure the shafts are installed correctly.

Comment

If there was any question on any of my cars I would pull the distributor & a valve cover off take a long shaft & rotate the oil pump & watch the oil flow. As far as the Offy valve covers being taller, they are but only perhaps 1/8th of an inch, at least the ones I have are. I am not counting the height of the fins, just the inside area.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you every one.

Comment

Hmmm...was it ACTUALLY dry, or just a very thin coat of clean oil that wasn't obvious to the mechanic ?
                    I know that after many years (about 12+) of running my daily driver Lark with a set of Offy rocker covers, they are still mostly clean on the upper surfaces, and do "appear" dry. They aren't, just have a very thin coat and the cast surface sort of hides shine from the oil. Even wiping it with your fingers, because it's had the night to drain down, apperars dry.

I'd say that if the valve spring retainers have a drop of oil ready to drop off of them on the "low" side...you are just fine.

Mike

Comment

Thanx Mike hope it is this simple. I will contact mech 1st of week or maybe go see for myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X