installing the early hawk grill into a '62 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: installing the early hawk grill into a '62 hawk

I can't help myself. No matter how much I promise not to change the cars I buy I do it anyway. I just installed a Golden Hawk hood scoop onto my '62. I made it a functional "heat extractor" scoop by drilling a series of holes at the rear of the scoop allowing hot engine compartment air to exit through the air vents.

I am planning on swapping out the side grill pans on my '62 for an set of earlier Hawk pans with the mesh grill and round parking lights. I am pretty sure that will work OK. Here's the one thing I am not sure of. If I remove the chrome grill surround from my '62 would an earlier Hawk grill mount into the opening? Will the mounting holes be the same?
    Attached Files

Dean, I believe the earlier grille will fit your '62 hood. I've been told this is not true for a '63 or '64 GT Hawk. A hood from a '57 to '61 Hawk should also fit your '62.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

yes I believe you are correct. the 63 and 64 hood is narrower and the side grills longer . thanks for the info

Comment

BTW, The holes in the hood scoop are not open to the air, I installed a mesh grill ( window screen) at the bottom of the openings but you cant see them in the picture

Comment

I just installed a '58 Hawk grill into my '62. The differences are: you need to drill out 4 mounting holes in the lower lip of the '62 hood, midly open up the remaining mounting holes and install the lower hood filler strip molding as the "62 grill reached all the way to the splash pan. I think it looks much better then the 62-64 grills as it doesnt look added on and sticking out too far from the front of the hood. next I will be installing early hawk side grill pans, mesh grill and round parking lights in place of the '62 set up so it will look like the 63 or 64 hawk but without having to switch to a different hood and side grills.Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk grill installed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1694786

Comment

installing the early hawk grill into a '62 hawk

I just installed a '58 Hawk grill into my '62. The differences are: you need to drill out 4 mounting holes in the lower lip of the '62 hood, midly open up the remaining mounting holes and install the lower hood filler strip molding as the "62 grill reached all the way to the splash pan. I think it looks much better then the 62-64 grills as it doesnt look added on and sticking out too far from the front of the hood. next I will be installing early hawk side grill pans, mesh grill and round parking lights in place of the '62 set up so it will look like the 63 or 64 hawk but without having to switch to a different hood and side grills. Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk grill installed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1694787

Comment

If you need the filler strip that goes under the grille, I have one that you can have for the cost of postage. It is used and still packed in the unopened box in which it arrived. I bought another one to install - spring-loaded - under the rear-opening fiberglass hood that I installed on my 1959 Silver Hawk.

Comment

I like the GT grille on those cars, but if you like the other, more power to you.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Noticed you've installed a '57-'58 Golden Hawk hood overlay on your '62 Hawk.....I've always liked the look of those....especially from the driver's seat!!

Comment

I'm guessing from the photo that you have that GH overlay installed a bit further forward on the hood than its usual factory position.....Am I correct?

Comment

MY 62 GT has had the early grille on for a few years now but I use the 56 hood so no drilling needed and the 56 I think is the best looking of the hawk hoods, my grandsons 62 is getting the same grille on his 62 but with a 64 hood along with the 64 side grilles so it will fit up front.

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I really like your car. It looks cool with the old grill and the overlay. Do you have any pictures of the car from the side?

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                          I like the GT grille on those cars, but if you like the other, more power to you.
                          MY 62 GT has had the early grille on for a few years now but I use the 56 hood so no drilling needed and the 56 I think is the best looking of the hawk hoods,
                          Ask ten Stude guys about styles they like best, get nine different answers and the tenth guy is undecided, cause he likes them all.

My '56 Hawk custom had a perfect hood, grilles and deck lid, but I liked the '53-55 deck lid and the '64 hood and side grilles, so that's what I paid money to change.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Ask ten Stude guys about styles they like best, get nine different answers and the tenth guy is undecided, cause he likes them all.

My '56 Hawk custom had a perfect hood, grilles and deck lid, but I liked the '53-55 deck lid and the '64 hood and side grilles, so that's what I paid money to change.

jack vines
                            Jack, what your saying is that you like the 53-54 better than the 56 so you made one , I also like the 53-54 trunks and even on the GT they look like they belong there.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Thanks, I could sure use it. you can email me at : kramerdad1@aol.com to arrange payment

Comment

Working...
                              X