Hood Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hood Springs

I had the hood off my 57 Commander 4dr for a month while working on the engine. After putting it back on and trying to close, the rear rises up. I have to set it down, push each rear corner down, then close the front. Weak springs???

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    I had the hood off my 57 Commander 4dr for a month while working on the engine. After putting it back on and trying to close, the rear rises up. I have to set it down, push each rear corner down, then close the front. Weak springs???
    I figure if all was well before the hood was removed I`d first check to make sure all the pivot points are lubed and free-moving especially if the engine bay was cleaned or the car was left outside. cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

My 56 Commander has 4 springs on the hood. I bought 2 rear springs from SI and they were too stiff they would not let the front springs work right. I bought 2 good rear springs from Tom at South Bend. Now everything works perfect. When I release the hood it moves forward about 3/8 inch and raises up with no problem.

Comment

It sounds like you have a bind in the hinges. Did you scribe/mark the locations or install locator pins before you removed the hood? Try loosening (a little) the points that you had removed and lubricate all moving joints. See if you can get the hood to close properly, then tighten everything up.

EDIT: If the hood worked properly before, and you used the same springs in the same locations, the problem is not the springs. You probably have the hood "cocked" causing the hinges to bind.
        Last edited by studegary; 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a 61 Hawk, but I think things are similar. I used "stop nuts" so as not to have to tighten the hinges too much. Also look at the threaded shafts, there are holes for cotter pins so the nuts do not get too tight. I guess what I'm suggesting is simply loosen all the nuts and be sure you have 4 springs in place and see how it closes when the nuts are loose and the pivot points well lubricated.

Comment

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks.

Comment

The hood uses castelated nuts with cotter pins.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

My Sky Hawk has only two springs, and it looks like there's holes for four. The hood closes properly but it's a bitch to lift it up. Suggestions?
                peter lee

Comment

The right rear corner of my 50 Champion hood would flop each time the hood was lifted or lowered, so I thought the hinge was worn sloppy. I just bought the restored car last summer, and after a couple weeks I finally noticed that the mounting nuts weren't tight, even though the cotter pins were in place, and the hinge was sliding in the adjustment slot. It was an easy fix, and I also found some other loose nuts on the car.

Comment

Working...
                  X