valve cover decals for packard hawk engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: valve cover decals for packard hawk engine

Bought a 289 LS Packard engine awile back for a project. Has none of the supercharger stuff but will run it as base 289. It has remains of decal Super Packard 289 that looks kinda kool.Are these decals still available? I think it would project a different look when the hood is popped.Thanks
    NEIL G.

It seems that you have not gotten a Studebaker International Parts Catalog yet. The Decals (801655) are on Pg. 9 in the Paper Catalog & possibly similar in the on line version.

I can totally imagine what the Car Show comments are going to be!

"That thing LIES, that's no Packard Engine!"

The truth be told, it IS a Packard Engine.

(1) By virtue of the fact it was made by the Studebaker Packard Corp.

(2) The Car and Engine are labeled as "PACKARD"

(3) The Engine is I.D.'d as an "L" = Packard, as is the Car.

(4) Sure it is not the traditional Detroit Packard Corp. built, Packard designed Engine, but it does not matter, the Studebaker 289 Engine when installed in a Packard becomes a Packard for the above reasons.

Debate over!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-30-2014, 02:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a Supercharged Packard motor in my 57 Silverhawk. Never thought about putting the decals on it, until NOW. I'll order them tomorrow....

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
        Bought a 289 LS Packard engine awile back for a project. Has none of the supercharger stuff but will run it as base 289. It has remains of decal Super Packard 289 that looks kinda kool.Are these decals still available? I think it would project a different look when the hood is popped.Thanks
        After '56, Packard V8's were no longer produced. You have a Studebaker engine, that was once installed in a '57 or possibly a '58, (Packard Hawk) Packard badged Studebaker.

Comment

The corporation that made all Packard V8 was Studebaker Packard corp the 55 56 were made in Michigan 57 58 were made in Indiana . When registered they were registered as Packards thus they are Packards

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
            The corporation that made all Packard V8 was Studebaker Packard corp the 55 56 were made in Michigan 57 58 were made in Indiana . When registered they were registered as Packards thus they are Packards
            The problem with making statements like the one above is... Interested newcomers, who haven't been dealing with these cars 'forever', may come away thinking the Studebaker V8 that was used in '57 and'58 'Packards' is a real Packard V8....now, semantics aside,....what's the point of confusing these folks about Studebaker and Packard vehicles? It's exactly like saying that the Chevrolet (McKinnon) engines used in the '65 and '66 Studebaker automobiles are Studebaker engines!.....Why?

Comment

Let's see--There are Studebaker people, Packard People, Studebaker Packard People, some PURE and some HARDHEADED and possibly only death will allow this not be an vocal issue. Stick to your guns right is right!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Guys for the replys . StudeRich,no I don't have an SI cataloge,so I will call about one. I know the base HP rating with 7.5 compression is 210 with 4 barrel and thick head gaskets like the 56 289 Prez and Skyhawk. I plan on using thin steel gaskets,R-1 clone cam,heads I just got with R-3 intake-exaust valves,and have not ruled out R-3headers.What kind of horsepower increase can I expect with these type of engine mods ? Thanks Again,Neil
                NEIL G.

Comment

Neil; the big advantage in the R1 Engine which you are trying to clone is the Flat Top Pistons giving 10.25 to 1 Comp. and a lot more H.P.

So it sounds like you are using the stock 289 Dished Pistons which will net about 8.5 to 1 with 1557570 '63-'64 Std. Lark/Hawk/Avanti R1 Heads, so a guess would be about 230 H.P.

It sounds like you could be overdoing the Heads, R3 Exhausts will do nothing, and R3 Intakes will not do much without ported and matched Intake Ports, Combustion Chambers and Intake Manifold to take advantage of the R1/R2 or R2Plus Cam.

The R3 Headers will give you bragging rights and look cool with very little gain, but WILL need to have the casting "slag" cleaned out.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,thanks for the information. I figgerd there was more to it than just add a part, add this part,add another part an ya got a road burning non supercharged stude V-8.Maybe I"ll just settle for a 2 in .duel exaust an turbo flow mufflers.Thanks.Neil
                    NEIL G.

Comment

Off topic....but wouldn't the Packard Hawk really have been something if S-P used up the rather large stock of Packard 352-374 CI engines that they had on hand in '57-'58 for that model....WOW!...a Packard Hawk with a 'real' Packard engine!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Off topic....but wouldn't the Packard Hawk really have been something if S-P used up the rather large stock of Packard 352-374 CI engines that they had on hand in '57-'58 for that model....WOW!...a Packard Hawk with a 'real' Packard engine!
                        Yes, an all aluminum one, with the McCulloch supercharger too please!
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X