Fan wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Fan wiring diagram

Could anyone post an after-market wiring diagram or a sketch of the cooling fan circuit? I am using a P.T. Cruiser two speed fan for my '61 Hawk. I will use the temp sensor to operate the low-speed and a manual switch for the hi-speed. I need the relay amps, etc. The factory calls for 30 amp fuse for lo, 40 amp for hi and 10 amp for control. Thanks- Jim.

All this took was a quick jaunt into the internet...!

Mike

Comment

Saved

If you want the fans to ONLY run when the engine is running, you can add a oil pressure switch and another relay and supplement the circuit like this..

This is a helpful relay for many issues where you want electrical items on when the engine is running. (e.g. Electric Choke, fuel pumps, running light.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	twoSpeedFanCircuit_zps02c67faf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1691892

Name:	twoSpeedFanCircuitXs_zpsad04ab36.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1691895
      Last edited by SScopelli; 08-26-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I have the factory diagrams, I need to eliminate the PCM and the PDC

Comment

Here is what you need!
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You could also get one of these off eBay or your recycle yard.

Then use a dual thermal switch from VW, Audi or BMW

Wiring is self explanitory.. +12V in, the two wires from the thermal switch, and the two +12v out for the Hi/Lo fan speed..

I'm assuming you will have a bung put on your radiator for a thermal switch, but this is less than $50 and OEM quality

True CASO, just get three relays and the thermal dual Thermal switch. This set up will only provide voltage to one pole of the fan output.
            When the High triggers it will de-energize the Low's relay

Click the icon for a bigger diagram

Name:	twoSpeedFanCircuit1_zps829dad54.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1691927

Comment

have installed a 2000 Ford Focus dual fan on my '63 Hawk. Used two (2) Flex-o-lite temp sensors (the radiator probe type - they are a nuisance to route and protect from damage; your using a head mounted sensor is probably a better way to go) - Flex-o-lite has both probe and electric type sensors w/ full detailed wiring diagrams.
              Your fusing looks about right. the focus fans draw a continuous 20 amps EACH and have a start -up draw of 30 amps EACH - Always fuse more than the draw - Then size the wiring to the fuse capacity.
              A manula by pass switch is a good idea. I used a momentary 'ON' (it is for start-up booster use only) so as not to have to be concerned w/ a safety switch.

Paul TK

Comment

Some electric fans have up to 80 start up amps drawn. You need heavy wiring, and many times even a high output alternator. A stock Lark type alternator will not run most electric fans. (without eventual damage). A pulse width modulated fan controller gets rid of the high current spikes at their start up. They also vary the fan speed according to cooling needs.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) controllers reduce cooling fan speed instead of turning the fan off completely. We installed Derale's PWM to maintain a steady coolant temperature without constant fluctuations.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What year and model Volvo is the relay set out of and where in the car is it located? This looks like the best set-up for what I want.-Jim

Comment

What year and model Volvo is this relay set-up (attach. 37397) out of and where in the engine compartment is it located? It looks like what I want.- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                      what year and model volvo is this relay set-up (attach. 37397) out of and where in the engine compartment is it located? It looks like what i want.- jim
                      1994-1997 volvo 850,s70,v70,c70,960,940 cooling fan 2 speed relay 1398845 oem

Comment

Thank you, now I gotta find one in the local junkyard. If it works, I'll get a new one.-Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X