Low Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Low Oil Pressure

I was out running errands in my 64 Champ today. Everything was fine. I stopped for lunch and when I started the truck up to leave, the oil pressure light came on. I made it back home and put a gauge on it to see if I had low pressure. It reads about 22 PSI while warm. If I rev it up the light goes out. Any ideas, fellas?

If it reads 22 psi at low hot idle, it is fine. 'Nothing to worry about.

The oil pressure sending light switch is bad. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Those switches seem to go bad regularly. Many times they start to leak oil all over the place.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Oil pressure idiot lights are set to trip at about 4PSI, so the switch is faulty.

Comment

Yes! If that switch had been accurate you probably would not have made it home!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It was the switch again. 2nd one in 6 months. These things must be made in China.

Comment

Never thought I would see the day when "Made in Japan" sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                If it reads 22 psi at low hot idle, it is fine. 'Nothing to worry about.

The oil pressure sending light switch is bad. BP
                Several years ago the oil pressure switch on my 20 horse Kohler Magnum started leaking. I went to my parts stock and found that I had several Studebaker switches. Turned out to be the same as the Kohler so I installed a Studebaker part in the Gravely.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                  Never thought I would see the day when "Made in Japan" sounds good.
                  Or even "Made in Taiwan"..................
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                  X