Increasing horsepower 6 cyl OHV for 64 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Increasing horsepower 6 cyl OHV for 64 Champ

How could I increase the HP of my 6 cyl OHV engine in my 1964 T Cab Champ.

Ron Acton

At great difficulty and expense, Ron. Per horsepower increase, Champion is one of the more difficult, thus costly. There are no commercially available speed parts and custom work has to be done by someone who knows how. Probably the best bang for the buck is the 185" crankshaft under the OHV head.

Personally, I no longer go there, as the customer is inevitably disappointed at how much he spent and how little improvement gained.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

OTOH, a Studebaker V-8 will bolt right in there - if you change the transmission and the brakes also.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        OTOH, a Studebaker V-8 will bolt right in there - if you change the transmission and the brakes also.

Ditto. This is the easiest and best method of increasing the power of your 6 cylinder engine. Adding 2 more pistons triples the horsepower and improve the drivability of the truck immensely. You can't go wrong with this move.
        sals54

Comment

I have a 64 Champ, 259 and overdrive. Performance is very satisfactory. You would be happy with the change.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Anything you do to "Hop up" the OHV 6 is very likely to just increase the already present risk/chance of cracking the Head, even with the "New Improved" '64 Version.

More heat, more RPM, more speed all BAD things for the OHV 6.

However, things like adding Overdrive, using a Lower Numerical Axle Ratio, losing some weight, a higher flow Air Cleaner etc. could help a little or a LOT!

Just do not get the final drive ratio so High that you start lugging the Engine and cannot pull over a Bridge slope in 3rd. Overdrive!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Skybolt 6 is a wimpy engine. I'd swap it for a Studebaker V8 (259 or 289)
              -George-

Comment

If you drop the six for a V8 - front springs could be different (HD six cylinder springs are standard duty v8) as well as transmission(possibly drive shaft as well). Brakes are the same, regardless of what was under the hood. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                  I have a 64 Champ, 259 and overdrive. Performance is very satisfactory. You would be happy with the change.
                  What he said.
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Having played around with some Studebaker sixes after spending years owning only Studebaker V8's. I have gotten rid of all my sixes and gone back to V8's. The time and money spent does not pay off unless you want it to stay a six for some reason. If you want power and ease of reliability then a V8 is the way to go.

Len.

a.k.a. Skybolt (as I was hopping up sixes at the time and an OHV six was my project when I signed up)

P.S.

If you really want to know what will work I can advise but you have to start with a known good head and then still be disappointed at the results for a truck. If you want it to remain stock looking then you might only see 30 HP increase if you don't mind it looking like a modified engine the dollars spent and the chance of problems down the road would make it for show but not for doing hard work. I spent too much time on my last six and backed out of using it for more performance because I found it's safe limits and in a 59 Lark it was still not powerful enough or reliable enough for me. I don't drive like most and want a car that can go across the country and back with no problems and I didn't feel the OHV six would do it. It might have never failed but from what I saw and experienced I would not risk it. Others might have different stories of good engines. Mine ran well and performed well but it did not inspire confidence. To make more power, enough power to warrant the effort, time and money you would be wiser to put in an 8.

Again, if you can be more specific in your needs then there could be a solution.

Also, what all above have mentioned is valid and like Jack mentioned some of us don't go that route anymore.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I've put a 185 in my OHV 6, and it is a significant improvement, partially cubic inches, but it also, without further modification, it increases the compression ratio. That said, it is no speed demon, it's about like a somewhat tired 259, only lots more expensive. I did it just because I could, not because I thought it was a great idea! Still, I've gone 80 MPH with overdrive and a 4:27 rear, there was a bit more speed there, but 80 is more than enough in a Champ. Trust me!

On the Champs, brakes are the same between V8 and 6, and springs might be.

Unless you just want a 6, a 259 or 289 is a better idea. And on the 8E Champs, the bell housing is the same, so you can use your existing transmission, flywheel, and starter, but it will the the lower strength T90 transmission. That'll be fine if you don't abuse it.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Depending on you, if you do a search in this forum and in the regular forum, you should be able to turn up some older posts from people who've done different modifications to their Stude Sixes. Also if you google search, you'll likely come across a couple of guys who've put turbos on their sixes, if you're interested in going that direction.

Good luck, and despite all the negativity, do let us know what you decide.

Comment

I think Ford 1.6 rockers are available that fit the Stude V8?? Since the six uses V8 rockers then the 1.6 may fit the six. This would be new territory so who knows how it would do.

Comment

I few points.

1. "Unless you just want a 6, a 259 or 289 is a better idea. And on the 8E Champs, the bell housing is the same, so you can use your existing transmission, flywheel, and starter, but it will the the lower strength T90 transmission. That'll be fine if you don't abuse it."

With this bellhousing/engine plate one can do any of the transmission swaps mentioned on the forum for V8's. If you put a modern 5 speed behind an OHV six it will allow you to stay in the powerband, so to speak, for better performance.

2. "Depending on you, if you do a search in this forum and in the regular forum, you should be able to turn up some older posts from people who've done different modifications to their Stude Sixes. Also if you google search, you'll likely come across a couple of guys who've put turbos on their sixes, if you're interested in going that direction."

This has been done with Flathead sixes but I would not trust it for an OHV steup. I had everything to do such a conversion but backed out when I studied the head configuration. It would have been better using a Flathead instead.

3. There are many other performance mods to be made. Like using larger Chevrolet valves and valve springs. I also had, or still have, parts to do this on an OHV six, but again did not want to put all my money into an engine that would have head problems at any given moment.

4. Find a 1964 head to start with, a couple if possible, and have them sonic tested and magnafluxed. Find the best head. Have hardened seats put in. Do the 185 conversion and some minor head and port work. Update you carburetor and electrical system. Keep the largest valve to rocker gap you and the engine can live with. Make sure the internal cooling passages are clear of debris and the cooling system in tip top shape. Most of all service the engine like clockwork. No skipping of valve adjustments. No slacking off in maintenance. And if I forgot to mention to do routine service and maintenance then I will repeat myself and say do it often and then do it again.

5. Basic summary, Start a good head, then with the cubic inches, carb, electricals, cooling, and then transmission. If you are not happy and still want to pursue more then the valve conversion, more port work and a better cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              A few points.

1. "Unless you just want a 6, a 259 or 289 is a better idea. And on the 8E Champs, the bell housing is the same, so you can use your existing transmission, flywheel, and starter, but it will the the lower strength T90 transmission. That'll be fine if you don't abuse it."

With this bellhousing/engine plate one can do any of the transmission swaps mentioned on the forum for V8's. If you put a modern 5 speed behind an OHV six it will allow you to stay in the powerband, so to speak, for better performance.
                              Which 5 spd trannies just bolt up? I missed reading about modern 5 speeds that just bolt up to a Stude drivetrain.

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post

2. "Depending on you, if you do a search in this forum and in the regular forum, you should be able to turn up some older posts from people who've done different modifications to their Stude Sixes. Also if you google search, you'll likely come across a couple of guys who've put turbos on their sixes, if you're interested in going that direction."

This has been done with Flathead sixes but I would not trust it for an OHV steup. I had everything to do such a conversion but backed out when I studied the head configuration. It would have been better using a Flathead instead.
                              I should have noticed that, you're right the turbos have all been only on flatties.

Comment

Working...
                              X