Replacing Belt Molding on a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Replacing Belt Molding on a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop

I just purchased a right rear belt molding for my '59 Lark Regal Hardtop.
    I understand that to replace the existing molding and installing the new one, I need to remove the rear seat and seat back, plus remove the panel and window crank too. Do I need to remove the window also?
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who had done this job.
    Many thanks!!!

Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Before I would remove the window I would reposition or remove the down stop. That may allow enough room for access to the screws holding the belt molding. If that doesn't get enough clearance then unbolt the window assy (guides)& let it drop down into the 1/4.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren,
      Thank you. That might make the job a little easier. I've enlisted the assistance of my son, who is into the hobby. In fact, he even volunteered to help.
      Rog
      Smithtown,NY

Comment

Warren is correct. You might have to remove the stop, but should not have to remove the window itself.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip,
          Thanks for reaffirming what Warren suggested. Makes me feel a little better about doing the job.

Rog
          Smithtown,NY

Comment

Is your existing piece broken or badly damaged? I caution you about just replacing one piece of this moulding. When you put one new piece on, the original pieces around it will look much worse than they do now. I recommend replacing all of the beltline with NOS or rechromed pieces all at the same time.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary. The stainless pieces that surround the chrome pieces are in really good condition.
              I could never understand why Studebaker used both chrome and stainless at the same time, i.e. the windshield and rear window mouldings are stainless and the belt mouldings are chrome plated. Go figure.
              Rog
              Smithtown,NY

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                Thanks Gary. The stainless pieces that surround the chrome pieces are in really good condition.
                I could never understand why Studebaker used both chrome and stainless at the same time, i.e. the windshield and rear window mouldings are stainless and the belt mouldings are chrome plated. Go figure.
                Rog
                I know what is stainless and what is plated. I was referring to the four plated belt moulding pieces when I said to not replace just one (unless necessary).

Which were stainless and which were chrome plated depends on the thickness and cross section of the piece. It mostly came down to cost. They all looked good when new. Remember, cars were not built to last and look good more than a half Century later.

One of the few Studebakers, of more than 50, that I would like to buy back is my 1959 Lark VIII hardtop.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You will more likely have to remove the window from the hinge point and lower it down the body, not remove it altogether.
                  I say this because you have to remove the window whiskers to get to the screws that hold the belt molding on.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a better idea about what has to be done when I get inside body panel.
                    This is all good info. I really appreciate all the good advice.
                    Rog
                    Smithtown,NY

Comment

Working...
                    X