SI Front Cam bearing does not have oil groove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: SI Front Cam bearing does not have oil groove

I assume this is needed for lubrication of some key area as the manual is very specific about making sure it points toward the front. I can order new cam bearings, but does any one know which manufacturer would be correct?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

It lubes the cam thrust plate. Who knows where the bearings are being made now. Every vendor probably gets them from the same place.

Comment

Since the grove is to provide sufficient oil to the thrust plate, the non-grooved bearing will likely cause the motor to run at a little higher oil pressure, but at cost of reduced lube to the thrust plate.

No matter where replacement parts are from, they should have the same physical characteristics as those they replace, or someone should be able to provide a satisfactory explanation as to why the difference is OK. Haven't heard that yet here.

Last set of cam bearings I installed in a 289, the rear one's outer shell distorted slightly, probably due to being thinner or weaker. So it took an hour or so to hand ream the inner surface to fit the cam. Some things you can overcome easily, and some not.

Comment

The vendor stude4x4 on ebay is selling dura-bond bearings. From the picture, it looks like the front bearing does have the oil groove. I sent a question to him to confirm.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I have a new set of Dura-bond, and it has the oil groove.

Comment

From the recent post regarding engine parts from SI and questionable quality and or country of origin. It might be prudent to seek a vendor that specializes in engine parts and or those that have first hand experience using them.
            QUOTE=64studeavanti;857550]I assume this is needed for lubrication of some key area as the manual is very specific about making sure it points toward the front. I can order new cam bearings, but does any one know which manufacturer would be correct?[/QUOTE]
            Last edited by rusty nut garage; 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

One would think that SI, as the largest provider of Studebaker parts, would be one of those vendors.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

IMHO they specialize in being able to keep us supplied with many reproduction goodies that we would not otherwise have. However to say they specialize in engines would be wrong. Call Fairborn or STUDEBAKER parts.com. I'm sure they're may be others, these are some I have personal experience with. Returns and questions are treated FIRST RATE with both of these establishments.
                Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                One would think that SI, as the largest provider of Studebaker parts, would be one of those vendors.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I assume this is needed for lubrication of some key area as the manual is very specific about making sure it points toward the front. I can order new cam bearings, but does any one know which manufacturer would be correct?

I have the correct cam bearings for your engine.

Bo
                  Bo

Comment

Well...I don't have a dog in this hunt...but what's wrong with picking up the phone and discussing this with SI? Could be that one bearing got by "Quality Control" and was shipped without the oil groove. With all the product handled, I'd be amazed if SI had enough employees and time to open every package and personally inspect every component. After all, they are the supplier, not the manufacturer. It could be that they have an entire shipment of defective bearings and could be unaware of it until someone points it out. Before jumping on the forum and broadcasting it...call them up.

I don't mean to make this a confrontational post, but SI needs to be informed about the potential problem, and be given a chance to correct it. After all, they are a valuable resource to our efforts and, although a business... a partner as well.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I plan on calling SI in the morning. The bad part of all this is that the machine shop already installed them and I have the crank and pistons installed. Now I must take it all apart and haul it back to the machine shop when I get the correct bearing. bummer!
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I plan on calling SI in the morning. The bad part of all this is that the machine shop already installed them and I have the crank and pistons installed. Now I must take it all apart and haul it back to the machine shop when I get the correct bearing. bummer!
                        Just use a hacksaw blade and put a oil grove in. I have done it in the past.

Comment

Thought about that. If you can scrape a bearing, why not cut a groove. In any case I don't have much to lose. If I don't like the looks of it, I just get another bearing set.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

AND....being it's just the front, you don't need to take the crankshaft out. You should be able to fish the bearing out just by rotating the crank out of the way if it is in the way.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X