58 Silver Hawk Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 58 Silver Hawk Hoses

Thanks to this forum I am getting the bug to work on "Old Silver" again. My latest project is replacing heater hoses. Upper and lower rad hoses are new, so just have to get rid of the heater mess. Does anyone have a description/ picture of the routing? The reason I ask is that our hawk had a 110v recirculation/ block heater pump added and there seems to be many extra hoses as a result. Right now there are the 2 ports on the water pump as well as one in the back right hand corner of the block. The rear one looks to be an add on, but I don't want to eliminate it if it is necessary. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this will help or not. I don't have pictures of an actual installation.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks! After looking at that I'm thinking the hose coming from the rear of the engine block was an add-on. This sould clean the engine compartment up considerably as well as eliminate 5-6 feet of unneed hoses.

Comment

Considering that there had been a recirculating block heater, that rear hose must have been part of that, heating only the block, not the entire cooling system.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          Considering that there had been a recirculating block heater, that rear hose must have been part of that, heating only the block, not the entire cooling system.
          That's what I was thinking.... Just didn't want to plug something off that would ultimately cause heating issues. I started to replace hoses today, but I'm thinking the originals are pre-formed. My over-the-counter auto parts store hoses that I bought don't look right, so I guess I'm in the market for some OEM-type hoses. Found some issues with the exhaust while I was underneath unhooking the under-seat heater core, so more work to come

Comment

Also discovered I am in the market for the air tube that connects the fan to the under-seat heater Oh well, if I wasn't expecting some work I would have bought a new vehicle that looked like everyone else's!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbiz View Post
              Also discovered I am in the market for the air tube that connects the fan to the under-seat heater Oh well, if I wasn't expecting some work I would have bought a new vehicle that looked like everyone else's!
              You have a Private Message!

I think you will find that the hose "coming from the back of the Block" is actually coming from an Air conditioning system part used to get hot water for the Heater from the rear of the Right Cylinder Head because of no access to the Upper water Manifold Heater fitting that would be UNDER the A/C Compressor. They used it for the Block Heater apparently.

This means you have to replace the plate with a hose fitting with the proper Cylinder Head rear port block-off plate and connect the heater hose where it belongs on the right upper "Arm" of the Water Manifold.

This Fitting will be the "Hot" flow to the heater Control Valve, the output hose of which will go to the special "T" to feed both the 3/8" hose to the Defroster Heater Core and the 5/8" Hose to the Main under Seat Heater Core.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich- I emailed you also.

Comment

Working...
                X