Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant get car to idle after new vacuum advance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: cant get car to idle after new vacuum advance.

I have a 62 289 that I just installed a new pertronix module in a delco window distributer. While checking dizzy found that the vacuum advance module was frozen so I replaced it with a NAPA vc1765 stamped b20. Put dizzy back in car and it started right up. Moved dizzy back and forth til engine ran smooth. plugged in the vacuum advance line from the carb and engine stumbled. Played with the distributer some more but it sputters, misfires and just wont smooth out. If I disconnect the vacuum advance hose it runs great. Do I have the wrong vacuum advance module or is it something else. Really need help with this so I don't destroy engine. Thanks in advance for help.....

Lee Willis

I recommend the use of a timing light when setting the timing as I don't like the idea of twisting the distributor without knowing what is happening to the base timing. It sounds like the spark is going too far advanced with the vacuum advance connected. Also the vacuum advance should be connected to a ported vacuum source and not full vacuum. I like the NAPA VC685 for the Studebaker engines as its advance is close enough to the original part as not to cause problems with the advance rate. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
      I recommend the use of a timing light when setting the timing as I don't like the idea of twisting the distributor without knowing what is happening to the base timing. It sounds like the spark is going too far advanced with the vacuum advance connected. Also the vacuum advance should be connected to a ported vacuum source and not full vacuum. I like the NAPA VC685 for the Studebaker engines as its advance is close enough to the original part as not to cause problems with the advance rate. Bud
      Agree. You cannot set timing without a timing light.

Comment

Timing light. After that, as Bud said you shouldn't be getting vacuum to the canister at idle unless the hose is connected to the wrong port or you have the idle screw set so the throttle blades are exposing the ported fitting's vacuum source. If the latter is the case then lower the idle with the hose disconnected, use your timing light to set the static advance, adjust the idle as necessary and re-check the timing to make sure it hasn't changed. Then reconnect the hose and recheck the timing. It should still be where you set it the first time.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by bige View Post
          Timing light. After that, as Bud said you shouldn't be getting vacuum to the canister at idle unless the hose is connected to the wrong port or you have the idle screw set so the throttle blades are exposing the ported fitting's vacuum source. If the latter is the case then lower the idle with the hose disconnected, use your timing light to set the static advance, adjust the idle as necessary and re-check the timing to make sure it hasn't changed. Then reconnect the hose and recheck the timing. It should still be where you set it the first time.
          Thanks to everyone. hose on wrong port and idle was set incorrectly. now on to the next challenge

Comment

Isn't it wonderful to have such a wealth of knowledge available to us?

Comment

Working...
            X