My Lark has been on the shelf for over a year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: My Lark has been on the shelf for over a year

My 1959 lark has not started in over a year. My Dad and I replaced the flathead 170 with an overhead 170 almost two summers ago. At fist it would start right up but run really rough when approaching highway spreads. I could tell it was missing the engine seemed to be stumbling and sputtering around 65mph. Over time the this problem got worse and worse until it just quit running on me (I had to get a tow home, but that's part of owning a classic). I think it might be the distributer, but I'm not sure. I've replaced the points, condenser, and coil several times. In fact I think I have enough ignition parts to supply half to the drivers club. I really need help with this situation. I've owned my lark for about 8 years and I think it's only been drivable for about 2 of those years.

Thanks,
    Troy Nyhus

Troy
    You haven't given enough information for technical advise . So let's start with basics. with the car sitting for so long you have to commit to a freshening up . Start with pulling the plugs ,this will tell you how it is firing(of coarse put new ones in), check that the carb is getting gas. By holding the choke open and work the accelerator to see the gas is pump from the accelerator pump, no gas could mean a clogged filter. or a cracked hose from the fuel tank to the steel line feeding the fuel pump. Check the air filters for dirt. Check for spark before you play with the points, no spark? check the points and replace if necessary .How does the cap and rotor look? Are the wires wet?
    the problem is probably gas related, Is the gas old ?,is the choke stuck? Hope this helps.
    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
    1960 conv R2 auto
    SDC member since 1972
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the response! I will get to work on the tests you suggested and I will let you know what I find. I'm going to post a video of what is going on when I try to fire the engine as well.

Troy

Comment

There are many things that could cause this, here are some more; the small wire from the Coil to the Points, or the ground wire from the breaker plate to the Distributor case could be frayed, partially broken or completely. There could be a carbon trace or crack running down the side of Rotor to ground etc., etc.

That is why tests of spark at Coil, at Plugs, at Points, 12 Volts+ at Coil + terminal from Ignition Switch are all important checks.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check the intake/exhaust manifold. Sometimes they loosen up and the engine runs progressively worse. You should be able to hear an exhaust leak, but the intake can slip by.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I hope to get my Lark on the Road in time for the MSRA Back to the 50's weekend!!

Comment

While you have the plugs out do a compression test. A couple of weak cylinders would cause lack of power towards highway speeds.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X