No announcement yet.

Window runs: long turns ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Window runs: long turns ???

Any tips in stretching the long window channel runs on the rear windows of W+P bodies ?? Fronts went fine, but the extra long rear section was a bear to stretch and corner around windows. I did bend around the window glass, but very tough at corners.....

The outer stainless metal beads have a small diameter metal rod in them. The ends of the stainless metal beads must be cut clean (with something other than a set of heavy cutters that will crush the bead) so that the inner metal rod will slide freely when you start bending the channel. I cut them with a very thin cutoff wheel in a air die grinder. The sharp bends on the 4-doors must be done in very small increments, constantly checking the contour. I did my '54 sedan a couple of years ago, took my time and they came out great.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I bent mine around a can of WD-40. The radius is about the same.
      sigpic
      2005 Dodge Magnum
      1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I installed the 2nd run last night.....useing the window as a guide.....still less than perfect.....I was tempted to buy another pair, but won't now expecting same results...

Comment

There was a guy at the Petersen meet this past march who sells the run channels pre-bent. He approached me because he needed templates for Studebakers. Victor Zamora, phone # 562-947-5864 or www.autochanneling.com I didn't get into what he charges but it's better than buying a channel & not having it come out right.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

.....took another look at my work=no go. I've got a call into Vic. Wait and see...thanks

Comment

Working...
            X