No announcement yet.

Vibration Damper puller bolt size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Vibration Damper puller bolt size?

I need to pull the vibration damper off my 259 V-8 engine. Its partially on, but need to take it back off to figure why it won't go on any further. I have holes all the way to the hub to pull the damper of easier, unfortunately, I don't know what size bolt and thread go in the puller holes. The rubber between the damper and but are getting in the way and I don't want to cross thread or try to force the wrong size bolt threads in. I don't have an old hub to check the bolt size or thread size.

Help is always appreciated!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

The Vibration Dampener will unbolt from the 6 long bolts with the Pulley or Pulleys and their nuts removed, and then pull off. The rubber cushions will make it a tight fit and require "wiggling" or lubricant, they usually need replacement anyway so it is OK to hurt them.

THEN you can access the Hub and screw in the puller Bolts that come with the Puller, whatever ones fit. They should be 3/8 Coarse U.S. Standard thread.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich. That's what I suspected, but was concerned about the messing up the threads. Got it off though. It wouldn't go on all the way, so I wanted to take it back off to see what the problem is. Haven't figured out the problem yet though.

Comment

Are you saying the flat damper is not seating on the hub or the hub itself is not seating up inside the gear cover? The flat damper rubber cushion has 6 circular sections that have to be "clocked" correctly and also the rubber dowels have to seat up into the hub. Best to seat the rubber cushion correctly in the damper and then carefully install the unit by the correct clocking for the 6 protruding bolts in the hub. Don't install it backwards or flipped wrong.
        Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

The Hub itself is not seating up inside the gear cover.

Comment

If the Crankshaft Timing Gear has been removed, it may not be seated against the thrust washer and Oil slinger.
            OR, the woodruff key in the Hub or the Gear is not in good condition and seating correctly.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If this is an early '62 or older crankshaft, the hub doesn't actually go all the way onto the crank snout. It is fully seated about 1/16" before it is flush with the end of the crank snout. If it is out more than that, what probably happened is the hub missed the key slightly and made it ride up in its key way and jam the hub from going any further.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X