Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grommits for the valve cover ( Do I use permatex on grommits to install on valve covers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Grommits for the valve cover ( Do I use permatex on grommits to install on valve covers)

Sometime here soon , I'm going to take off a valve cover on the 259 and paint them,and was wondering do I put permatex around the grommit before installing it on the valve cover. This is the first time for me taking off the valve cover on a stude. I've taken off other covers on brand -x ,but was wondering 55 c body Thanks Mike

I never do. Just put them in my mouth a couple of seconds and get spit on them, in order to slip into the valve cover holes easier. Use the flat washer that is included, an if the stud is too short for the lock washer to include, leave it off a week or so till the rubber settles a bit. Don't tighten the covers too tight either; come back in a week or so and re-torque gently. I am sure there's a torque spec somewhere, but I'd guess 45-60 inch pounds.
    Afterward, its a good idea to re-check the torque about every 5000 miles.

Comment

a lot less than 40 in lbs.....maybe 15-20.....?

Comment

You made me go look. My manual says 2 to 2 1/2 ft lbs. Tighten 3 successive times.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

RTV Silicone High Temp Black Permatex Brand sealer, works great if LIGHTLY applied to the Neoprene type Valve Cover Gaskets with New Grommets (DRY) using flat washers.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The top rubber grommets I have never used sealant of any sort on. I always use No2 Permatex
            on the bottom gasket to hold the gasket to the valve cover, and dry where it seals to the head.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
              The top rubber grommets I have never used sealant of any sort on. I always use No2 Permatex
              on the bottom gasket to hold the gasket to the valve cover, and dry where it seals to the head.

Tom
              Mike, that's exactly how I do it, but Rich's idea of a thin skin of silicone on the bottom side of the seal, i.e. Permatex's UltraBlack might be good. I go 15,000+ miles between valve adjustments, and usually the covers are seeping by then, most always toward the rear. Re-tightening them, as mentioned above, helps, but a thin layer of UltraBlack may just keep them sealed. Of course neoprene seals are the only way to go to.

Another trick is to use the Permatex #2 to stick the seals in place inside the covers, then set them upside down somewhere, with about 20 pounds of weight on top and let them dry. That way, the seals stay in place, making it much easier to maneuver the covers back into place. That's especially helpful on the GTs, which have several obstacles to maneuver around in getting the covers into place.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 04-20-2014, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X