No announcement yet.

Clutch adjustment issues - T5 conversion [resolved]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch adjustment issues - T5 conversion [resolved]

Car: 53 Champion Coupe with '64 289 from GT Hawk. Originally 3-spd O/D (both cars). Used Dan Giblin's adapter and sourced clutch shaft from a 4-spd GT Hawk. New pressure plate and throwout bearing (Studebaker) pilot bushing (Giblin's) and new clutch disc (stock, not HD 10.5" Mustang).

After install and adjusting the rod to the shortest position, clutch point was on the floor. I inspected linkage and repaired/replaced any worn components to remove slop. I used a die to add a bit more adjustment to the rod. I can now adjust the clutch point to a normal position, but when I push the clutch to the floor, I can hear the release levers come into contact with the springs.

I could put a stop on the floor (in place of the floor starter switch since I'm going to the dash button) but I'm not sure that is the right approach.

Anyone else been there and have ideas? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dnevin; 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

I installed the old floor switch and the metal tab under the clutch pedal. It no longer allows for contacts with the springs on the clutch spring when adjusted to a normal release point. So yes, the stop provided by the floor switch, or a suitable alternative, is apparently required.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
    X