pulley for belt wont come off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: pulley for belt wont come off

hi, the pulley that pulls the belt in the center bottom of my engine will not come off allowing me to get to the timing belt. What might help getting it off. I have screwed the center bolt for the crankshaft off and pulled the plate for that off. When i use the crowbar the pulley just bends. All bolts seem to be out that would hold it.

What Studebaker engine has a timing belt? They are gear driven. Please buy a shop manual. They are written in very plain language. All the nuts on the 6 bolts need to be removed also, as well as the large center bolt. Tap the edge of the pulley with a brass hammer to break any rust bond. Should come right off.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes! Don't force it or bend it! Procure the shop manual and use the proper tools. This is not your dad's Oldsmobile.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

First we need to know what engine you are working on. What are you attempting to correct? If it is a Studebaker V8, or even a 1965-1966 Chevrolet V8, it doesn't have a "timing belt".
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

He is talking about a Champion 6 - see his post re stuck pistons. The lower bottom pulley is a vibration dampener and requires a puller to remove it from the crankshaft, prying on it won't do the job.

Terry

Comment

Thanks, i found a puller and got it off

Comment

Working...
            X